- Provide emergency care and assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Assist with endotracheal intubation.
- Monitor patient's physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, or blood chemistry changes, and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Set up and operate devices such as mechanical ventilators and BIPAP, following specified parameters of treatment.
- Work as part of with providers, nurses and other healthcare professionals to manage patient care by assisting with medical procedures or related duties.
- Maintain charts that contain patients' pertinent identification and therapy information.
- Read prescriptions, measure arterial blood gases and review patient information to assess patient condition.
- Inspect, clean, test and maintain respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently, ordering repairs when necessary.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients to gain cooperation and alleviate fears.
- Determine requirements for treatment, such as type, method and duration of therapy, precautions to be taken, medication and dosage, and compatible with providers' orders.
- Enforce safety rules and ensure careful adherence to providers' orders.
- Educate patients and their families about their conditions and teach appropriate disease management techniques, such as breathing exercises or the use of medications or respiratory equipment.
- Perform bronchopulmonary drainage and assist or instruct patients in performance of breathing exercises.
- Conduct tests, such as electrocardiograms (EKGs) and stress testing to evaluate patients' cardiopulmonary functions.
- Perform pulmonary function and adjust equipment to obtain optimum results in therapy.
- Demonstrate respiratory care procedures to trainees or other healthcare personnel.
- Transport patients within the Medical Center.
- Teach, train, supervise, or use the assistance of students.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Applied Learning - Ability to participate in needed learning activities in a way that makes the most of the learning experience.
- Decision Making - Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Associates Degree (two year college or technical school) Required, Field of Study: Respiratory Therapist
- Basic Microsoft Office Proficiency
- Must be credentialed by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) as Registered/Certified Therapist