For over 38 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
In this role, you will oversee all aspects of managing building, promoting a “sense of community” among residents with activities and services, working to solve problems and facilitating a responsible and positive community. You will also be responsible for complete leasing and move-in tasks in accordance with Bellwether policies, in conjunction with utilizing property management software to collect rent and monitor resident accounts. In addition, the Site Manager will complete initial and ongoing certification of residents as prescribed by Bellwether procedures, supervise a Facilities Associate by providing direction and oversight for building and unit maintenance. You will work in collaboration with the Maintenance Department to coordinate work orders, preventative maintenance, and unit turnover. You will act as liaison to agencies providing referrals and case management to the residents.
Ensure excellent customer services to residents and prospective residents.
• Provide professional, responsive, unbiased, caring and knowledgeable interactions with applicants and current residents.
• Possess knowledge of Bellwether policies, landlord tenant law, fair housing laws, and property management software procedures.
• Be approachable, pleasant, professional, and knowledgeable in all interactions with applicants and current residents.
• Act in a calm, rational and professional manner in problem solving with tenants and staff.
• Listen to tenant concerns, giving explanations of lease and building guidelines, utilizing Bellwether’s Grievance Policy when appropriate. Always seek to resolve complaints or client concerns, treating all parties in a respectful and helpful manner, regardless of their behavior.
• Maintain confidentiality of applicant and tenant information.
• Coordinate and engage in community building activities for residents on a quarterly basis.
• Ensure that building and maintenance staff together manage the work order process in order to promptly address maintenance requests.
• Assist residents with SHA paperwork, reviewing for accuracy before submitting to SHA on their behalf.
• Maintain accurate file set up, filing and archiving of tenant files, including maintaining accurate tenant contact list.
Manage rent collection and property financial performance.
• Collect and enter resident payments into eSite promptly, addressing tenant delinquencies in accordance with Lease, issuing notices as appropriate and assisting with evictions as necessary.
• Maintain clean resident accounts in eSite, ensuring residents are billed accurately, account balances are accurate and accounts are reconciled monthly.
Manage leasing, maintenance and unit turnover processes.
• Post ads for vacancies, track all traffic at the property, and update application status reports as directed. Work with the Portfolio Manager to develop marketing strategies and implementation.
• Answer inquiry calls, conduct thorough pre-screening for eligibility, and determine units for which applicants qualify.
• Collaborating with the Resident Services staff, maintain relationship with partnership agencies regarding set aside units, initiating contact on vacancies, assisting with client application process, and communicating residency issues with current clients.
• Schedule application intake appointments for prospects. Assist applicants to accurately complete rental applications and supporting documentation.
• Process application, verifying rental and criminal history, income qualifications, etc.
• Coordinate with applicant regarding move-in date, time and move in costs. Prepare and complete move in lease documents, collect move in payments, and establish resident account in property management software. Set up SCL accounts, ensure welcome bags are in the unit and compile move in packet for Portfolio Manager.
• Complete move out inspections with residents, processing SODA’s with 14 days, and rental history before archiving file.
• Coordinate unit turnover with Maintenance, completing pre-move out inspections, scheduling of onsite cleaning staff, and ordering supplies.
• Receive and process resident maintenance work orders in Netfacilities, assigning work orders for building staff, if appropriate, and closing out the work orders with time and labor hours when work is completed.
• Monitor building needs, communicating to the Portfolio Manager, assisting in planning for capital improvements.
• Maintain and order adequate supplies, ensuring that storage rooms are kept organized and sufficiently stocked with necessary supplies.
• Update and manage preventive maintenance schedules.
• Conduct semiannual maintenance inspections in all units in accordance with OM.
Hire, Supervise, and Develop Building Staff. (Note not all Bellwether buildings have onsite staff to supervise)
• Supervise building staff, sharing input with staff regarding performance evaluations, goals, and accomplishments.
• Facilities Associate: Provide direction and support to staff to troubleshoot maintenance emergencies and solve problems, working together to develop daily, weekly and monthly work plans. Work with staff and Maintenance shop to coordinate and prioritize unit turns and safety concerns Coordinate with Maintenance shop on other assignments at other buildings, as needed.
Ensure that Bellwether properties are maintained to high standards:
• Oversee the unit turnover process to ensure that units are ready for new resident move-ins, walking completed units to ensure maintenance and cleaning has been completed and meets Bellwether standards.
• Ensure the identification, completion, and tracking of preventive maintenance actions to keep buildings in excellent condition.
• Respond, as needed, to after-hours emergencies, helping to contact resources and providing support and guidance to staff.
• Apply proven green and sustainable operating practices, participating in actions to reduce environmental impacts and promote healthy living and work environments.
Ensure property is operated in compliance with applicable laws and in compliance with funder requirements.
• Complete annual and ongoing re-certification paperwork for residents according to Bellwether procedures, working with Compliance staff to follow up with residents on missing or additional required paperwork.
• Ensure fair housing and landlord/tenant laws and Bellwether policies and procedures are fully upheld.
• Consistently enforce lease and rules, documenting incidents and accidents promptly.
• Quickly and effectively take corrective actions for legal notices, as appropriate and with the Portfolio Manager’s guidance. Monitor compliance. Work with the Portfolio Manager on subsequent evictions.
Engage and collaborate with Portfolio Manager, Property Management department and other Bellwether departments.
• Work collaboratively with supervisor, providing information and updates on challenges and seeking input and direction.
• Attend staff, ad hoc and all staff meetings as instructed.
• Work collaboratively with social service agencies and resident services coordinators to meet resident needs and resolve problems.
• Represent Bellwether as an ambassador to the communities and neighborhoods in which Bellwether is involved.
• Exemplify good intrinsic characteristics, values, ethics, people skills and maintenance of confidentiality. Embody Bellwether’s ethics in your own work.
• 3+ years prior apartment management or leasing experience in the property management industry. Equivalent education/experience may substitute for stated requirements.
• High school diploma or GED (equivalent education and experience may be substituted for the stated requirements).
• Exceptional customer service aptitude, including problem-solving skills and the ability to respond quickly and tactfully to both internal and external customer requests.
• Experience in Fair Housing and local Landlord Tenant Law.
• Dependable, highly motivated and organized individual, skilled at meeting deadlines and producing high quality work.
• Good oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate in English.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Positive attitude a must.
• Experiencing working with Microsoft Office user applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Experience supervising staff.
You might also have:
• Completion of WSHFC Fundamentals and Advanced training workshops
• Experience with Seattle Housing Authority Section 8 Project and Tenant Based programs.
• Experience working with AMSI/eSite or equivalent property management software.
• Familiarity with service-enriched housing programs, such as Sound Families and HOPWA.
• Demonstrated ability to build effective partnerships with community constituencies and social service agencies.
• Experience working with social service programs for diverse populations and making referrals as appropriate.
• Prior cleaning and light maintenance experience in a work environment.
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Compensation: $22.25 - 24.75 per hour, depending on experience