McCallie is seeking to hire an experienced and knowledgeable college counselor to join our office of two full-time college counselors and one full-time administrative assistant. The position will likely be an assistant or associate director, depending on experience, expertise, and fit.
College counseling at McCallie is an incredibly rewarding professional experience for many reasons. First, you will join an experienced, caring, and intellectually curious staff who are devoted to their students, respected in their field and dedicated to supporting each other. Second, as you work with exceptional juniors and seniors and their families during the college search process, you will do so at a place wholly devoted to the boys’ best interest and allowing each boy to own and to engage fully in finding the best college fit for him. Third, our college counseling environment is remarkably positive and healthy, marked by a supportive and collaborative relationship among students, parents, teachers, and counselors. Finally, you will join a wonderful educational community which has been committed to the formation of boys and successfully preparing them for college since 1905.
Job Functions/Major Responsibilities include:
- Appropriately counseling one-third of the senior class each year, which includes staging senior seminars, holding individual meetings, helping construct a final list of colleges, assisting in the application process, providing insightful feedback on essays, and counseling on final decisions.
- Appropriately counseling one-third of the junior class each, which includes staging junior seminars, holding individual meetings, helping construct an appropriate list of prospective colleges and advising on the research process.
- Writing effective and insightful counselor statements for seniors.
- Sending application materials in a timely manner.
- Communicating effectively with parents via email, phone, and, when arranged, meetings. Organizing and conducting appropriate programs and events to inform families about the college process, such as Parents’ Weekend presentations.
- Helping connect students and admission representatives through hosting day visits and college nights
- Cultivating contacts in admissions offices through visiting colleges, attending professional development events and personal efforts.
- Helping create an office atmosphere that celebrates students and their future plans across a broad range of options.
- Engaging in continuous learning and professional development by attending conferences, visiting colleges, reading relevant books, periodicals and articles.
Applicants must possess:
- a bachelor’s degree;
- experience in college admission and/or independent school college counseling;
- strong interpersonal and writing skills;
- ability to work collaboratively with the college counseling team, faculty and administration;
- a commitment to working with students and parents from a variety of backgrounds and experiences;
- a deep understanding of McCallie’s mission - including both its commitment to character development and the ideals of honor, truth, and duty and its Christian foundation and Judeo-Christian heritage - and have a desire to live out and serve that mission for the good of McCallie boys.
This is a ten month, full-time position. It is considered exempt and eligible for full benefits.
The McCallie School is located on the side of Missionary Ridge. The college counseling office is located in the Park McCallie House above the Maclellan Academic Building. Most of the work will be done in the college counseling office but at times in other locations on campus. Some travel is required.