American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The Staff Accountant assists with accounting and financial functions for programs funded by federal and non-federal grants. These functions include, reviewing and processing vendor invoices and payments, performing GL related duties, balance sheet reconciliations, and working closely with the finance team, on monthly closings, preparing and importing journal entries, and creating invoices.
What You’ll Be Working On
- Processing Invoices and payments for American Farmland Trust’s subsidiary.
- Reconciling bank accounts for the subsidiary as well as other balance sheet accounts.
- Uploading journal entries to Intacct, ensuring all supporting documentation is attached as well as process reclassification entries
- Attending all award kick-off meeting and ensuring all the award-related documents are saved, update all information in Intacct and update the tracking log with all the reporting information.
- Coding macros to format reports for upload
- Creating donor ID in general ledger system
- Creating reports in general ledger system
- Running monthly timecards
- Maintaining land portfolio
- Assisting with month end, quarter-end and year-end closing process.
- Assisting with annual audit.
- Maintaining the vendor file and setting up the vendor codes in Concur and Intacct
- Processing Expense reports in Concur.
The ideal candidate is innovative & tech savvy, has a thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, a strong understanding of all accounting functional areas, and possesses:
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals’ (GAAP).
- Understanding of all accounting functional areas. Experience with accounting computer systems, software, and applications. Intacct experience is desirable
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet (Excel) programs (VLOOKUP, Macros), proficient in Microsoft suite of products such as SharePoint, Teams, Outlook.
- Customer service skills will be invaluable in this position.
- Strong, verbal, written, analytical and organizational skills.
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and trustworthiness. Keeps commitments, maintains confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Demonstrates thoroughness and success with detail work.
- Results-focused: maintains productivity with minimal direction and supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with individuals, teams and committees.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required.
- 1+ years’ experience in a non-profit organization.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & Benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below.