We are seeking an experienced Construction Administrator to join our Charleston team. The Construction Administrator will represent McMillan Pazdan Smith as the primary contact between the firm, owner, and contractors during the construction phase and is responsible for managing the construction administration (CA) phase of a project, including quality control, constructability reviews.
- Manage construction administration activities on projects.
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand plans, specifications, and other contract documents.
- Understand and fulfill terms and conditions of owner - architectural agreement and owner – General Contractor (GC) / Construction Manager (CM) contract requirements and deliverables.
- Communicate with MPS project team and consultants on project issues in a timely and well-organized manner.
- Perform quality control throughout project life cycle.
- Participate in mandatory monthly CA meetings on topics including technology, best practices, lessons learned, and other relevant topics.
- Participate in CA and designated design studio periodic meetings as well as project team meetings.
Pre-Construction / Design
- Perform field verification of existing project conditions and report observed design/construction concerns to Project Manager (PM) and Project Architect (PA).
- Perform pre-construction specification and drawing quality control and constructability reviews leading up to “for construction documents issue”.
- Identify engineering coordination issues, unclear or absent information, code compliance concerns, or construction method quality and scheduling concerns.
- Participate in project hand-off from design to CA with PM and PA.
- Review project schedule, design intent, special features, and budget along with client expectations.
- Maintain MPS record set documents, including filing, organization, updating with revisions and request for information (RFI) responses, etc.
- Monitor project for construction document and reoccurring client standards compliance.
- Review and issue document revisions and once prepared by designers.
- Review generated revisions for quality, coordination, and accuracy with cause for revision
- Issue revisions to project team, file, and record in record documents.
- Lead shop drawing and submittal review process, by MPS and consultants, to ensure timely review.
- Lead RFI review process, by MPS staff and consultants, to ensure timely response.
- Record responses in MPS record documents.
- Travel as required to project sites for site visits and project meetings.
- Perform site visits for observation of project progress and quality review.
- Prepare field observation reports, including project progress, observations, discussions with GC/CM staff, photographs, etc. and distribute to project team.
- Attend Owner/Architect/Construction (OAC) meetings and record accurate meeting minutes for record and distribution.
- Work with PM, PA, and consultants to promptly close action items generated during OAC meetings.
- Serve as MPS main point of contact during project CA phase with project team.
- Serve as liaison /mediator between owner(s) and contractor(s) as needed.
- Coordinate generation of MPS and consultant punch-lists.
- Attend all State and Federal level Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) inspections and site visits
- Receive, review, and distribute third party and special inspections test reports. Record deficiencies in log for tracking of correction.
- Review project budget at start of project with PM. Review periodically to insure CA phase on target to achieve target profit.
- Identify and track potential additional service activities required by owner or GC/CM.
- Review change order requests promptly and provide recommendations to owner / client. Forward and track engineering scope change order requests to consultants.
- Review and certify payment applications.
- Receive and distribute closeout documentation from contractors to MPS and consultants.
- Review closeout documents and respond with required corrections or needed additional information as applicable.
- Includes as-builts, Operations and Maintenance manuals (O&Ms), warranties, attic stock transmittals, financial, and lien release.
- Coordinate organization of closeout documentation required for AHJ(s) with GC/CM as required.
- Facilitate GC financial closeout is completed in a timely manner, but only after all other closeout activities have been completed.
- Assist PM with project team post construction closeout, including lessons learned discussion.
- Perform post-construction services and investigations as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction science and/or management, architecture, or engineering
- Ten (10) years combined experience in architecture, engineering, or construction industry firm
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent grasp of building technology fundamentals
- Ability to read and understand plan documents
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to effectively and confidently prioritize and execute tasks with many competing priorities
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and follow-through skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Experience with Bluebeam PDF Revu
- Experience with Newforma Project Center
- Experience with Plangrid document management system
- Experience with Deltek Vision
- Experience with Autodesk Revit, Navisworks, and other BIM software
McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.