The Accountant applies generally accepted accounting principles to analyze financial information, prepare internal and external financial reports, and perform the core accounting and bookkeeping functions essential to ensure the accuracy of financial records. The Accountant will provide primary back-up coverage for accounts payable and payroll. The budgeted compensation for this position is $60 - $70k and is commensurate based on experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
- Carry out all responsibilities in accordance with GAAP and the principles of nonprofit fund accounting guidelines
- Compile and analyze financial information prepare timely entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions
- Prepare and submit accurate monthly financial reports to NYC Parks and other government agencies.
- Manage CDBG procurement process, by liaising with NYC Parks, submitting POs, and tracking fixed assets
- Perform tasks related to month-end transactions and year-end closing, including bank account and other reconciliations, journal entries, account analysis and reporting
- Support the Controller in preparing and reconciling data related to monthly financial statements
- Assist in establishing, modifying, documenting, and coordinating implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures
- Prepare documentation and schedules to assist with responding to external auditors during annual audit
- Provide backup support for payroll and accounts payable functions as needed
- Perform internal audit procedures related to carrying out internal controls
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or other related field
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience as an accountant for a nonprofit organization or public agency
- Experience in at least or more of the following core accounting areas: general financial analysis and reporting, accounts payable, payroll, or accounts receivable
- COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Accounting Knowledge: Strong knowledge of accounting principles, general bookkeeping and all aspects of general ledger accounting to manage and maintain books of record. Understands the concepts involved in maintaining a system of internal controls and knows the principles of financial auditing.
- Fiscal Accountability: Follows fiscal guidelines, regulations, principles, and standards when committing fiscal resources or processing financial transactions.
- Organization & Accountability: Meticulously well-organized with diligent attention to detail, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and takes pride in consistently producing accurate, timely and quality work products with minimal supervision.
- Planning, Organizing & Problem-Solving: Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives and ensures the optimal use of resources to effectively solve problems and accomplish work objectives. Alerts others to possible problems in a timely fashion and knows when to seek support and direction from others to solve problems, while offering possible solutions. Acts on solutions selected and decisions made.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent and responsive service to internal and external customers.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed in an interior office setting which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unusual elements
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion required
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.