TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit that has played, and will continue to play, a leading role in mobilizing communities, private businesses, and government agencies to work together to create resilient urban communities capable of withstanding the mounting challenges of climate change. TreePeople engages, inspires and supports the people of Southern California to come together to plant and care for trees, champion green infrastructure nature-based solutions projects, harvest the rain, and renew depleted landscapes. TreePeople unites with communities to grow a greener, shadier and more water-secure city at homes, neighborhoods, schools and in the local mountains. The organization’s current programs and activities fall within a wide breadth of environmental initiatives that include community organizing, environmental education and literacy, urban greening, wildland forestry, parks and trails development and maintenance, policy, and research.
TreePeople is currently seeking an Administrative Assistant to support our Forestry departments. This position will coordinate and assist with the organization, scheduling of various restoration programs, volunteer events, trainings and workshops, and provide other administrative duties as needed.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings with partners, funders and subcontractors.
- Record and distribute meeting notes and follow up on action items to ensure completion.
- Gather department data and prepare interim and final reports as needed.
- Create and maintain department’s general calendar/schedule of events, workshops, trainings, special events, site visits and surveys.
- Act as the main contact for partners, funders and subcontractors to ensure all needs and requirements of the department are met in a timely manner.
- Track project expenses and provide regular updates to the Director of Mountain Forestry.
- Maintain records of all department event activities, such as restoration care.
- Assist department staff at in-person events, workshops and trainings as needed.
- Represent the organization at meetings/gatherings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 2 to 5 years of administrative experience managing projects, budgeting, organizing events, scheduling/calendar maintenance.
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google Suite, Asana or other project management software.
- Interest in the environment, local ecosystems, urban forest, SoCal wilderness areas, and local mountain ranges.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- This position does require travel to various sites in the greater Los Angeles areas and occasional work on weekends.
- Ability to assist with loading and unloading of tools and to hike mountain side off-trails as needed.
- Valid Driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Able to work 20-30 hours per week.
TreePeople is an equal opportunity employer.