This position requires the successful candidate to receive and prepare product and process samples, to perform various tests on the prepared samples, and to maintain the equipment and lab environment in accordance with standard operating procedures in a team environment.
The position will work a shift to be determined later and will require over-time including weekends, based on business levels and occasional work on alternate shifts to accommodate co-workers scheduled time off.
Typical Duties and responsibilities include the following
- Work safely by demonstrating adherence to safety of self and co-workers by complying with all defined requirements (procedures & PPE).
- Receive all samples and log their receipt in a timely fashion.
- Prepare all samples for testing using heavy equipment (shears, band saws, lathes, sanders, grinders and vertical milling machines)
- Perform all routine tests in accordance with standard operating procedures using a variety of analytical and mechanical test equipment (spectrometers, tensile testers, microscopes, burets, pH meters, etc.)
- Perform routine maintenance on all lab equipment as scheduled or directed in accordance with written procedures or verbal instructions.
- Perform routine facility maintenance (janitorial and upkeep) as required.
- Order and maintain supply levels.
- Manage workload by understanding changing priorities and RCPI needs.
- Understand, support & participate in Continuous Improvement.
- Additional duties as directed by Supervision.
- Off-shift and weekend work will be periodically required.Walking long distances to various locations within the mill.
- Extremities of heat and cold.Dusty conditions.
- Climbing stairs.
- Slippery floor conditions.
- Lifting of items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Possibility of infrequent travel to customers/suppliers/training events.
- Need to read and understand instructions & communicate with co-workers
- Problem Solving
- Ability to learn and perform routine lab testing tasks
- Ability to learn the use of precision measuring equipment
- Ability to read and understand instructions
- Analytical Ability Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to understand hazards and safely handle laboratory reagents
- Ability to work with heavy machine tools – milling, lathes, saws, shears, routers, etc
- Ability to understand and perform analytical chemistry tasks / metallurgical testing tasks
- Literacy / Math skills / use of precision measuring equipment
- Personal computer use – including MS Office applications
Education / Training:
- 1 to 3 years of experience working in a quality lab in a similar environment.
- Associates Degree with prior applicable work experience
- Associates Degree in chemistry, physics or related field.
- Strong statistical and root cause analysis background
- metals testing experience
Pay Range $35,000-$42,000