The PR manager is responsible for daily management of public relations for assigned clients and for Woodruff. The individual will work with their assigned PR supervisor and a multidisciplinary team of agency professionals with a shared goal of providing transformational thinking that delivers extraordinary results for clients.
This person could be located in Kansas City, MO; Columbia, MO; or remote.
- Is aware of, and knows how to use, agency forms and tools available for kickoff and ongoing management of jobs.
- Participates in (and can run) weekly internal and client status meetings; owns public relations status reports.
- Develops and implements public relations activities across multiple industries.
- Provides input to creative, content, digital and account management teams as part of public relations-specific project execution.
- Manages multiple projects from conception to completion by anticipating challenges and ensuring deadlines and budget adherences.
- Informs public relations supervisor and/or immediate team members of any potential client problems (e.g., client/agency relations, budget over-expenditures, etc.).
- Takes immediate action upon client feedback and helps solve client problems.
- Prepares conference reports immediately following all meetings, distributes appropriately.
- Helps mentor and guide junior team members including public relations specialist.
- Actively participates in brainstorming and planning discussions.
- Develops communication plans that meet client objectives and shows a basic understanding of core components needed for them to be solid and effective.
- Obtains approval from appropriate public relations team member for all public relations plans, creative work, writing assignments and estimates (if required) at appropriate stages prior to client presentation.
- Develops and executes recommendations for events and/or trade shows.
- Aids in new business process including idea contribution, research and proposal preparation.
- Solid writer who can identify creative and effective news hooks to capture attention, secure readership and deliver results for clients.
- Consistently produces high-quality internal and external communications content, which may include news releases, talking points/key messages, media alerts, presentations, blog copy, website articles or long-form writing.
- Firmly grasps writing style for each client and produces accurate and error-free copy; proofreads following Associated Press style.
- Knows the traditional and nontraditional media outlets in the client’s markets and can build media lists to support those markets.
- Distributes news releases and pulls read reports for the public relations team’s clients.
- Develops and nurtures relationships with key reporters, editors, producers and influencers.
- Understands media training basics and can coach clients.
- Works particularly closely with content and social media teams to ensure seamless integration and maximum results.
- Identifies and manages influencer outreach program components in conjunction with social media team.
- Monitors print, TV and radio media clips daily using tools such as Cision, TrendKite or Google; flags clips for client or competitor news (or guide and mentor PR specialist to do so).
- Analyzes coverage and pulls out key insights to share with account teams and clients.
- Packages insights/information into regular reports and recaps results presentations.
May supervise one or two junior staff members. That task would include:
- Expectation setting, including working with your supervisor on new staff orientation, training and work assignments
- Departmental responsibilities, including working with your supervisor on policy enforcements, OOO requests and adhering to hiring criteria
- Regular communication, including one-on-ones, conflict resolution, philosophy guidance and ongoing coaching and mentoring
- Employee enrichment, including working with your supervisor on goal setting, performance reviews and ongoing feedback
Knowledge and Skills
- Computer skills related to public relations department daily functions
- Attention to detail, a strong sense of personal accountability, strong work ethic, strategic/critical thinking and creative abilities
- A passion for the PR industry, striving to continually learn new skills and stay up-to-date on new tools and trends
- Understanding of the Woodruff brand; helps champion the brand through behaviors, communications and public relations efforts
- Fully familiar with products, services and markets in which assigned clients operate, in order to efficiently and effectively fulfill the clients’ public relations needs
- Collaboration with multiple agency disciplines to develop and deliver results for clients
How leaders act on a daily basis as they seek to implement the company’s vision and strategic priorities, strive to fulfill the brand promise and live up to the value. Everyone can be a leader.
- Open-minded and active listener
- Continually grows people and business
- Truthful and transparent
- Decisive, accountable and proactive
- Forward thinking
- Communicates in a positive manner
Bachelor’s degree (journalism, communications or related degree)
- 5-7 years working in public relations, marketing or communications field
- Agency, media relations, content development and an agricultural background is required