Come join the team at Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West - a World Heritage site and one of the most frequently visited travel destinations in Arizona!
Sharply focused on ensuring our local, regional, national, and international audiences feel welcome to explore, engage in, understand and financially support the historic spaces of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin and Taliesin West, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation inspires people to discover and embrace an architecture for better living through meaningful connection to nature, the arts and each other. In Wright's own words, our vision is "to make life more beautiful, the world a better one for living in, and to give reason, rhyme and meaning to life."
The Grounds and Facilities Technician works closely with Facilities staff on identifying and performing highly diversified duties to troubleshoot, repair and maintain grounds, buildings, and facility equipment at Taliesin West, a National Historic Landmark and UNESCO World Heritage site comprised of 495 acres of preserve land and 80,000 square feet of historic buildings. Adheres to safety and preventative maintenance systems and processes in support of Foundation property. Possesses a helpful, service-oriented attitude, creative problem-solving ability, desire to learn and grow in a unique environment, and ability to support a team approach that supports the Foundation’s programs and staff.
- Assists with the day-to-day routine maintenance of grounds, facilities and systems as directed by supervisor.
- Maintains landscape and hardscapes, manages irrigation systems, and prepares grounds and walkways for daily tours and events.
- Uses a variety of hand and power tools to perform work within basic, general maintenance trades including landscaping, carpentry/painting, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical repair.
- Assists with the installation, operation, and/or general maintenance of all equipment and components that support the buildings and grounds and in compliance with organizational safety policies and procedures as well as OSHA guidelines and regulations.
- Responds to maintenance requests from a variety of facility users including Foundation staff, Public Engagement visitors and guests, and completes necessary paperwork and/or documentation logs for submission to Supervisor in a timely manner.
- Works on assignments that can be complex in nature where, in collaboration with or under the direction of skilled staff and management, considerable judgment and initiative is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- Documents tasks completed and includes reference materials such as images or schematics.
- Works within all types of weather conditions predominately in outdoor settings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, preferably with apprentice or journeyman experience or related professional experience.
- Ability and interest in learning and performing semi-skilled trades such as commercial grounds landscaping, carpentry, painting, tile, drywall, electrical, plumbing, mechanical systems, etc.
- Must have excellent customer service ability including strong interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to foster cooperative relationships with staff throughout the organization.
- Ability to use basic and precision hand tools and measuring instruments.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret documents such as safety regulations, operating and maintenance guides, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to understand and follow Foundation and departmental policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and unexpected events or delays on up to a daily basis.
- Availability to work up to 40 hours a week as scheduled and occasional nights and weekends as required by supervisor.
- Valid AZ driver’s license.
- Previous experience performing similar duties at a historic site, or within an arts/cultural setting or museum environment.
- Familiarity with the architecture and ideas of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Experience in commercial grounds landscaping and knowledge of native plant species.
- Desire to learn and grow under the direction of and in collaboration with experienced leaders, supervisors and coworkers.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical Demands: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and consistently talk or hear; and rarely taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- OSHA Risk Classification for COVID-19 Exposure: Lower Risk (Caution): This position has minimal occupational contact with the public and other co-workers and is therefore determined to fall within the Lower Risk category as defined by OSHA. To further minimize risk, employees are required to follow the Foundation's Safe and Healthy Workplace guidelines and related personal and facility infection control policies.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.