Mortgage Loan Originator position is responsible for developing new residential mortgage business along with analyzing credit worthiness of applicants and negotiating terms, repayment, and collateral requirements. Also included are establishing new relationships with vendors and working with current customers and bank staff to promote and cross-sell bank products and services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop new business by utilizing referrals through centers of influence to contact prospective customers, as well as promote and cross-sell bank products and services.
- Develop and maintain new and existing relationships with realtors, builders, current customers, and banking center staff to generate residential mortgage applications.
- Interview prospective loan applicants to collect and analyze financial data to determine the merits of the specific loan request.
- Establish terms of credit including costs, repayment methods, schedule, and collateral requirements.
- Communicate and advise customers concerning financial matters to determine products that best meet their needs.
- Participate in community and networking events in order to generate new business opportunities and enhance the bank’s visibility.
- Serve as the liaison for non-borrowing accounts and loan customers for matters relating to other bank services.
- Maintain a positive and professional image as a representative of the bank and corporation.
- Responsible for working within regulatory guidelines and bank policies applicable to the areas this position supports. Ensure privacy and security of files.
- Attend training on applicable subjects when available and appropriate for position. Complete required bank training on a timely basis.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with minimum of three years of mortgage lending experience.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of residential mortgage process, underwriting criteria and guidelines.
- Strong organizational skills required with the ability to prioritize work in order to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written customer service skills.
- This position requires S.A.F.E. Act registration through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS).
- All employees are expected to contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing requested duties regardless of explicit inclusion in the job description or reasonable relation to an employee’s primary role.
- Bilingual preferred
Additionally, all employees must understand and adhere to all federal and state laws and banking regulations and company policies and procedures applicable to assigned job responsibilities, including compliance as appropriate under the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations.
Additionally, all employees are expected to demonstrate the following Core Competencies:
Professionalism – acting with responsibility, integrity and accountability; demonstrating consistent trustworthiness and reliability; always remaining flexible, adaptable and willing to accept coaching; building and managing professionally healthy relationships; deliberately managing career decisions; and continually developing awareness of business-related topics.
Communication – understanding various active and passive tools and styles and their effects; and exhibiting appropriate, effective, timely use of tools and styles to connect, collaborate, facilitate teamwork and serve customers.
Work Quality – demonstrating an ongoing commitment to compliance, safety and security; executing work with efficiency, a sense of urgency and attention to detail; and displaying organized work practices and a results-oriented mindset.
Analytical Ability – navigating work-related circumstances with practical, sound reasoning; and demonstrating creativity in problem solving.
Leadership – displaying good judgment and certainty in decision making; taking initiative with job-related demands; demonstrating innovative thinking and sound planning with business practices; managing individual performance toward shared organizational goals; and thinking strategically to set and accomplish goals.
Merchants Bancorp and its affiliates and subsidiaries are committed to being equal opportunity employers. All job candidates and incumbents will be assessed based on only criteria relevant to successfully performing the job as defined in this job description and as generally accepted in the job’s relevant industries.