PICKUP® is the enterprise-grade, last-mile delivery service and one of the nation’s fastest-growing on-demand logistics providers. Our team features trust-verified PICKUP Delivery Professionals delivering big & heavy items (including assembly) - from household essentials to furniture and mattresses - in as little as one hour. PICKUP has partnered with leading retailers and commercial businesses to transform their omnichannel delivery experience with solutions such as Contactless Buy Online Deliver From Store (BODFS). Our intelligent platform and success teams enable PICKUP Delivery Professionals to consistently provide exceptional customer experiences. We currently operate in over 70 service markets with aggressive expansion plans. We are a customer-obsessed culture of creative problem-solvers. If this sounds like you, join our mission to build the best last mile in the nation.
We’re building a new kind of company, and we are building it from the inside out, which means that investing in hiring, developing, and retaining the brightest minds is a top priority. Everything we do is grounded in three simple values: trust, transparency, and fairness. From our business model to our culture, we live our values to the extreme whether were dealing with employees, retail partners, or consumers. We believe that happiness is the highest level of success and we want every person that crosses paths with PICKUP to achieve it.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, PICKUP’s Director of Data Engineering is passionate about building a foundational data platform that will create insights, analysis, and information to empower all levels of PICKUP’s organization. The Director of Data Engineering will also lead analytics processes and strategy across all of PICKUP’s business units and be responsible for compiling and aggregating key data, performing in-depth analysis, and communicating findings to business stakeholders.
The Director of Data Engineering is a challenger and an owner that loves data! This role requires an individual that is a tenacious and creative problem solver with the ability to prototype solutions and loves to experiment with new tools and isn’t afraid of something they don’t know. As PICKUP’s growth continues to explode, we need someone that isn’t afraid to roll their sleeves up, build a data platform from scratch and continually challenge the status quo. This role requires a doer, not just a thinker. We have a lot of interesting problems in the data space and we need someone to lead by example!
- Work as the lead data strategist, identifying and integrating new datasets that can be leveraged through our product capabilities and work closely with the product and engineering teams to strategize and execute the development of technical features and/or data products
- Engage with executive leadership to create and shape the data vision for PICKUP
- Develop and own annual and quarterly experimentation roadmap, in conjunction with business OKRs
- Build and grow a team of data engineers to create, manage, and then expand our data practice
- Determine ways to use data as a strategic asset
- Ensure our data and analysis are reliable and rigorous across all disciplines
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and strategic direction to your team members and to business stakeholders
- Play nice with others. Build relationships with individuals on and outside of your team to elevate your ability to execute
- Identify relevant data sources and sets to mine for business needs, and collect large structured and unstructured datasets and variables
- Analyze data for trends and patterns, and interpret data with a clear objective in mind
- Implement analytical models by collaborating with software developers and machine learning engineers
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited program in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics, or related experience
- Expertise with relational databases (SQL)
- Expertise in data architecture and data modeling
- Experience with data visualization tools
- Experience with standard Data Warehousing technologies
- Experience with data cloud platform services a plus (RedShift, S3, EC2, EMR, Kinesis, Snowflake, Looker, etc.)
- Experience initiating and driving initiatives to completion with minimal guidance
- Proficiency with data mining, mathematics, and statistical analysis
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, start-up culture with several ongoing concurrent projects
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with others using spoken and written English including the ability to communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to resolve technical issues with versatility, flexibility, and proactive thought
- Excellent planning skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and control job responsibilities in order to meet deadlines in an environment with overlapping and potentially conflicting priorities
- Expert analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to expertly solve complex technical problems
- Expert knowledge of non-functional requirements including security, scalability, and usability
- Expert knowledge of data design patterns, principles, and practices
- Demonstrated ability to develop and support a scalable data platform
- Keen attention to detail
PICKUP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.