Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organization committed to the relief, assistance and advancement of the poorest people in the least developed countries of the world. Founded in Ireland in 1968, Concern Worldwide has nearly 4,000 personnel working in 24 countries across the globe. Concern believes in a world where no one lives in fear; where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities essential to a long, healthy and creative life. Our mission is to help people living in absolute poverty achieve major improvements in their lives, improvements that are sustainable without ongoing support from Concern.
Concern Worldwide US is an independent affiliate of Concern Worldwide, with offices in New York and Chicago. Our mandate is to support the work of Concern Worldwide by financially supporting programs, representing Concern with national/international co-funders and organizations, facilitating the recruitment of personnel and raising the organization’s profile. Concern Worldwide US also engages in development education programs with the general public and with high schools in the US.
Concern Worldwide US is seeking an exceptional professional to be the next Executive Assistant and Board Liaison (EA/BL) to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Concern Worldwide US. The EA/BL will utilize their extraordinary judgment, discretion, problem solving skills, and initiative to coordinate and support all administrative activities for a busy CEO. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to serving as the primary internal and external contact on all matters pertaining to the CEO; managing an extremely active calendar; arranging complex travel plans; composing and preparing confidential correspondence for board members, donors and other constituents; completing expense reports; scheduling and planning meetings; and handling a wide variety of other administrative activities. On occasion, the EA will also get involved in supporting other members of the Executive Team with administrative and/or project assistance.
The successful candidate brings creative and critical thinking, embraces working independently, but also as part of a team. This person can tackle projects both large and small and be an effective communicator and collaborator. This person must have the judgment and experience to make many administrative decisions quickly and keep things moving in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. To succeed in this position, the successful candidate will be exceptionally organized, detail oriented, positive, high energy, and of impeccable integrity. The EA must also demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of Concern U.S.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the day to day activities for the CEO including maintaining an up to date calendar in Outlook, keeping track of deadlines and important events. Anticipate potential scheduling conflicts and works with other team members as needed to assess priorities and determine solutions.
- Act in the capacity as the CEO’s gatekeeper and main point of contact to various internal and external constituencies, including screening and prioritizing correspondence and telephone calls; keeping the executive informed of all matters requiring her attention. Determine priorities and time sensitive issues daily for the CEO.
- Assist the CEO in preparing for meetings and appointments with donors, Board Members, staff and external constituents, securing information and supporting materials through research and from other departments. Provide prep packets in advance of all external meetings.
- Arranges all travel (air, ground, hotel) for the CEO which can include complex international and domestic travel. Secures visas, books hotels, coordinates local transportation, and handles other travel-related logistics. Ensures flights and hotels follow all Concern and relevant donor travel policies. Resolve all logistical travel issues, prior to and during travel. While CEO is traveling, EA will be available after hours and on weekends to help resolve any unforeseen travel related issues when needed.
- Organize Executive Team meetings; coordinate and communicate logistics for staff; prepare agenda drafts for the CEO to review and distribute agenda and supporting materials to attendees in a timely manner. Prepare and track a list of key takeaways and action items from each meeting. Book conference rooms and video conferencing services as required.
- Respond to regularly occurring requests for information from CEO’s office.
- Liaise with development team to assist with CEO-donor correspondence, especially following key donor meetings and special events.
- Assists in creating and proof-reading documents and correspondence. Duties may include drafting documents from pre-defined templates; managing documents for signature or approval; and creating and developing visual presentations for the CEO. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Track and manage the timely submission of expense reimbursements for CEO including copying check requests & sending to Finance for reimbursement, documenting corporate credit card expenses, maintaining receipts and managing the accurate and timely reconciliation of monthly credit card statements.
- Assists with the coordination of meetings, retreats and other events. Duties may include arranging catering, meeting space, and/or tech support; preparing meeting agendas and background information.
- Establishes, develops, maintains and updates filing system for the CEO. Retrieves information from files when needed.
Board Support and Liaison:
- Serve as primary administrative point of contact for all board activities including but not limited to--maintaining board calendar and assisting in the planning of board meetings; timely preparation and distribution of all Board meeting agendas and materials; managing Board correspondence, scheduling meetings with CEO and committee members; updating the board directory and Concern letterhead when board members cycle on/off the board; and coordinating and maintaining board committee meeting and minutes.
- Develop and distribute monthly Board newsletter with key dates and relevant information.
- Coordinate with key staff to prepare and deliver board notifications and reports.
- Support the CEO and Board Chair in the preparation of a coherent and relevant agenda for quarterly Board and Board Committee meetings.
- Oversee the collection, compilation, preparation and distribution of all background materials for all Board and Committee meetings in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist head of Finance in managing and compiling annual board compliance materials to ensure adherence to Board Governance Policies and Procedures.
- Schedule and manage the logistics (catering, hotel—as needed, transportation) for Board meetings, Board dinners, and other events as requested.
- Attend quarterly Board meetings to provide onsite support and to take official meeting minutes.
- Track and maintain records of Board and committee meeting frequency and members’ attendance, along with Concern Worldwide US Governance Standards.
- On occasion, arrange travel and itineraries for Board field visits, which may include major donors.
Internal Office Responsibilities:
- EA is the back-up to Concern’s front desk receptionist and it is the EA’s responsibility to work closely with the receptionist to ensure the front desk is properly covered at all times.
- Back-up reception daily for lunch and also on as needed basis; respond to incoming calls, route calls to appropriate area of the organization, greet visitors, and communicate general information to callers and visitors.
- Support all divisions with overflow work (e.g. event preparation; event support; meetings).