Explore a Career with Skillable. Make a difference every day.
Skillable is a 100% remote and virtual company. You will be expected to be a member of a highly talented and productive team, maintain a high degree of output and focus with minimal daily supervision, working on tasks assigned, while enjoying the benefits of a work from home organization.
To help drive team culture and good working relationships, Skillable leverages remote co-working sessions from time to time in different locations around the United States, where the team comes together to work and get to know each other better.
Become part of the Skillable team, where we want you to love your work !
Skillable is seeking an Information Technology Operations Manager, reporting to the Executive Vice President of Operations. The Information Technology Operations Manager is responsible for a rapid and effective response to platform infrastructure and cloud service disruptions and issues. The Information Technology Operations Manager will mentor, build, and lead a team of IT professionals responsible for the roles of monitoring, troubleshooting and supporting our production infrastructure, cloud platforms and service applications. The Information Technology Operations Manager is responsible for the processes, communication, documentation, execution and management of platforms and tools which Skillable relies on to conduct business. The Information Technology Operations Manager will work with our Production Development and Infrastructure teams to ensure that the platforms we deploy are well documented, monitored, maintained and we have the tools, skills, and personnel to troubleshoot and resolve issues.
To be successful in this role, the Information Technology Operations Manager must be an individual with a deep understanding of our platforms, tools, and technologies, as well as how those are deployed globally to support our customers. This position requires demonstrated team leadership, efficiency in planning and execution, partner and client interaction, process creation and implementation, multi-tasking, and extreme attention to detail.
This position reports directly to the Executive Vice President of Operations and is a member of the Technology Operations team. Reporting to this position are Network Operations Center engineers and Platform Support engineers. This position works closely with members of Infrastructure, Development, Tier 3 engineering, and Release Management.
- Network Operations Center: Monitors Skillable services and performs escalation and incident management, including internal and external communication
- Platform Support: Members of our Infrastructure and Development teams who specialize in maintaining, troubleshooting, and fixing production services and infrastructure
- Tier 3: Members of our customer support team who provide deep troubleshooting to our premium support clients and internal Skillable employees and stake holders for technical issues
- Release Management: Members of our Production Development team who build, test and release updates for Skillable platforms
This is a remote position with opportunities for occasional travel for team meetings.
- Technical experience with Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure
- Technical experience with Windows Server, Linux, enterprise networking and transit and distributed global services
- Experiencing with, or preferably managing, monitoring, and reporting systems and processes
- Experience with release management and the application release lifecycle
- A proven ability to manage complex platform infrastructure
- A deep understanding of tools and processes to effectively run a 24/7/365 team
- Proven ability to effectively develop and manage a technical team and most importantly develop individual team members
- Have the ability to prioritize and organize the tasks and needs of the organization and individuals
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to convey technical information to a broad audience of non-technical and technical people
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of technology and its execution on modern platforms
- Have the ability to execute against broad organizational strategy and goals
Broad Technical Overview
Skillable maintains six datacenters containing virtualization hardware utilizing Microsoft Hyper-V and VMWare vSphere capacity, supported by enterprise networking and Infrastructure services largely within the Windows Server eco-system, with Linux appliances where appropriate. Skillable datacenters manage virtualization data which measure in petabytes. Skillable platform systems which support our Line of Business applications are largely hosted within Microsoft Azure and globally distributed. Lab on Demand, a key platform, also utilizes Microsoft Azure and AWS as lab fabrics, among other options.
Essential job duties
Essential job duties refer to those responsibilities that are critical and necessary to do the job, but also include the following:
1. Manage the Production Support Teams and Functions
a. Hire, train, mentor, support and develop members of Production Support
b. Manage Comp Time records, shift coverage, time off and schedules
c. Manage performance reviews, goal setting and other employee performance functions
d. Create job descriptions, perform interviews and hire staff working under the approval of the EVP – Operations
e. Build and execute an internal communications policy, including reoccurring meetings, 1:1’s, employee work groups, group chats, voice services & communication flows for all team members
f. Ensure Production Support is effectively and efficiently responding to tickets, following internal protocol and communicates clearly with focus on accuracy, timelines, professionalism
2. Work with Production Development teams and stakeholders to drive improvements in global service uptime and time to resolution for issues
a. Ensure internal knowledge and process exists to quickly and effectively respond to known or potential issues
b. Ensure our technology systems are effectively monitored and that monitoring drives action and swift resolution
c. Ensure issues reported by customers, Skillable employees or automated systems are investigated and responded to until a complete and satisfactory conclusion
3. Work with Production Development teams and stakeholders to drive internal knowledge and processes, including
a. Definition and management of ‘Production Ready’ systems and their documentation requirements
b. Serve as a release stakeholder, ensuring support teams are ready to support production releases
4. Serve as the source of truth for status and issues, and at all times when there are issues
a. Ensure internal communication is clear, accurate, timely and relevant
b. Ensure processes exist and are followed for consistent and accurate external communications to Skillable status pages and customers
c. Ensure processes exist and are followed to gather the right internal resources to solve issues, driving ‘war rooms’ when required
5. Troubleshoot, investigate, and respond to production issues
a. Managing resources responsible for re-producing reported or suspected errors
b. Managing resources responsible for responding to known hardware or software issues
c. Serve as a ‘quarter back’ for issues, providing accountability for resolution
6. Drive deep and accurate technical output of all incidents, including
a. Issue resolution
b. Bug reports
c. Operational handoff
d. Feature requests
e. Training and documentation requirements
f. Root cause analysis
g. Gap analysis
7. Provide production support maintenance and scalability tasks
a. Hardware and software updates to production systems
b. Backup and disaster recovery validation and testing
c. Scale testing
8. Provide data and metrics tracking uptime, challenges, team effectiveness and key system data, including
a. Global and service SLA
b. Uptime metrics
c. Key trends and lifecycles
d. Dashboards and event streams
Collateral Job Duties
Collateral Job Duties refer to those responsibilities that are less critical to do the job or only arise from time to time.
- Deep knowledge of our platforms, their use cases, tools, development road map, feature sets and strategic goals
- Ability to think strategically and execute against long term goals for the business and platforms
- Advocate for scalability and reliability features and optimizations with a focus on automation
- The ability to translate technical concepts into abstract concepts for presentation to business and technical decision makers
- Ability to objectively analyze how a platform is used and make recommendations on how to improve the platform through development requests
1. Ability to frequently remain in a stationary position.
2. Ability to frequently communicate and exchange accurate information.
3. Ability to constantly operate equipment such as telephone, computers, etc.
4. Ability to move equipment, in excess of 5 lbs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you meet the above requirements and are looking for a rewarding career, please take a moment to share your background with us by applying online. Skillable is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers full-time employees a robust benefit package, to include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription, Healthcare Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Retirement Savings Plan (100% match of employee 401(k) contributions up to 3% of their compensation, then 50% matching contribution of next 2% of employee's compensation), Wellness Program and reimbursement, Travel Assistance Program, Short-term Disability, Life and AD&D, Accident Recovery, Employee Assistance Program, Long-term Disability, Critical Care, Cancer Care, Hospital Indemnity, Discount Program, Home Office/Communication Reimbursement, Generous Paid Time Off, Sick Time, Personal Time, 10 Company Recognized Holidays, 1 Floating Holiday, Employee Recognition Programs, Company Trips, and even Pet Insurance!