PROGRAM DESCRIPTION AND JOB SUMMARY
The Marketing department of the Sonoran Institute is responsible for building and maintaining brand awareness, strategically communicating the mission and vison of the Sonoran Institute to multiple audience segments through multiple channels and supporting ongoing fundraising efforts and donor engagement through creation of collateral, media, and content.
The Marketing Manager (MM) is responsible for creating and delivering marketing communications strategy, concepts, activities, and collateral with oversight from the CEO. The Marketing Manager will develop the Institute’s marketing communications plan annually. Conceives and creates marketing materials, manages projects, and ensures Sonoran Institute messages are consistent and brand compliant. The position also works closely with the Development Department on fundraising and development initiatives and serves as a member of the Development and Marketing team.
Marketing (50% of time):
- Develop and implement the annual strategic marketing plan with support of Development Department, for organization-wide communications, fundraising and marketing campaigns, and review all team marketing plans.
- Advise teams and leadership staff on continuous improvement opportunities for communications policies, process, and execution, including alignment of communications channels, definition, and prioritization of key audiences.
- Develop and implement the brand strategy with support from Development Department.
- Ensure that messages are supportive of and consistent with marketing & brand strategies, including review of message, tone, and visuals to ensure consistent messaging across media and teams.
- Create, deliver, edit, and optimize marketing/communications materials.
- Create & edit digital and multi-media pieces, including video, photo, and web content as well as brochures, fact sheets and e-newsletters, print and digital ads, underwriting scripts.
- Develop fresh stories and concepts for marketing campaigns.
- Develop tools and best practices to manage projects.
- Track, measure, and report on metrics for marketing and communications deliverables.
- Assist in creation of thought leadership materials as directed by Development & Marketing Director or CEO.
- Create and deliver case studies, case statements for support, white papers, executive bios, corporate newsletter content, speaking proposals.
- Present marketing results and activities at board of director and committee meetings, and in all-staff meetings.
- Manage permissions for third party photo use and video licensing agreements with coordinate of asset delivery.
Digital Channels Management (20% of time):
- Manage organization’s WordPress website; provide guidance for Resilient West.org and Sonoran Institute Mexico sites for brand alignment.
- Create and deliver e-mail campaigns. Ensure alignment with other communication channels in tone and schedule.
- Develop and implement social media plan, including calendar of campaigns/content themes and engagement goals via Facebook, Instagram, You Tube, Twitter, ensuring alignment with email, direct mail, and other communication channels.
- Supervise Marketing Communications Intern; provide guidance for implementing social media plan and best practices.
- Track, measure, and report metrics for digital marketing performance.
Press/Media/PR Support and Coordination (20% of time):
- Create and deliver press releases and media relations content.
- Identify, develop, and execute communications strategy for key media contacts and customer references.
- Research media coverage and industry trends.
- Develop fresh story ideas.
- Conduct extensive media outreach and manage media list.
- Promote products and services through public relations initiatives.
Create and manage annual marketing budget (10% of time):
- Determine marketing project budgets with support from CEO.
- Manage expenses to that budget.
Education & Experience
- A commitment to natural resource conservation.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 2-4 years’ experience performing essential duties and functions of this job.
- A portfolio will be required.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Marketing Communications experience in copywriting, graphic design (Adobe CS), or PR.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with social media, web-based tools and collaboration.
- Video & photo editing experience (Adobe CS / Adobe Premier or similar).
- Experience managing WordPress site.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office.
Required Behavioral competencies
- Ability to work independently – Initiative is a must.
- Results driven, proactive & able to work autonomously
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail a must
- Problem solving attitude
- Flexible, change embracing in rapidly evolving work and market environment
- Ability to relate to and work with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Bi-lingual, Spanish/English.
- Demonstrated experience creating digital media pieces (e.g., video, infographic, multimedia).
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES, REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking and moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Talking and conveying detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Hearing at normal speaking levels with or without correction; ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Repetitive motion and substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; using measurement devices; and more.
(This job description is intended to indicate the basic nature of the position and examples of typical duties that may be assigned. It does not imply that all of the duties listed will be performed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned. Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations.)
Sonoran Institute is committed to a discrimination-free workplace and to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, pregnancy, mental or physical challenging condition, marital status, amnesty, political affiliation, status as a covered veteran, or other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.