What We Do
Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco believes in the power of homeownership to create generational impact. To this end, we build homes for first-time homeowners and sustain homeownership by helping vulnerable homeowners retain their home as an asset for generations to come.
The Construction Apprentice in NR plays a critical role in ensuring that Habitat Greater San Francisco remains effective in sustaining homeownership. This position supports NR Field Supervisors in service delivery to clients by providing additional manpower for critical repairs and other NR efforts. Contributing to job completion and efficiency, site safety, and a positive work environment are key aspects of this role.
NR Construction Project Participation (90%)
- Report to Field Supervisors, as assigned by NR Superintendent, to assist with critical home repair activities and other NR construction projects, such as community facility repairs. Work primarily located in one of the NR service areas, with occasional work in other locations (less than 25%.)
- Develop skills in activities routinely involved in NR repair work, including: site clean-up, material expediting & staging, roofing, siding, painting & paint prep, flooring installation, demolition, window replacement, and other carpentry and home repair activities.
- Contribute to safety and security of personnel and property by: maintaining clean & orderly jobsites, vehicles and storage spaces; following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
Recordkeeping and Communications (5%)
- Meet operational standards by communicating effectively with other members of department regarding scheduling, work progress and status, etc.; maintaining and submitting all receipts, invoices, timecards, etc. in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate respect and professionalism in all interactions with clients, volunteers, supervisors, and other staff.
Collaboration on Other Organizational Objectives (5%)
- Support organization and department objectives by occasionally participating in non-NR activities such as Playhouse Builds, repairs on Resale properties, warranty work, etc.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by participating in All-staff, department, and team meetings, trainings, and retreats as required.
- Minimum 2 years of full-time work experience
- Work experience or training in construction preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with customers or clients
- Fast learner with interest and aptitude for work in construction trades
- Excellent ability to follow directions and ask questions as needed
- Attention to detail
- Valid CA Class C driver’s license and ability to drive large pickup trucks
- Must be able to pass background check (In accordance with state and county law: convictions do not necessarily rule out employment, it depends on the nature and severity of the conviction and is evaluated on a case by case basis, check is conducted on last 7 years only.)
Must be able to move objects and use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue. Constant movement and use of limbs; this position requires good manual dexterity, coordination and stamina, and the ability to lift and carry at least 60 pounds, go up and down stairs and ladders, and endure the full work day on their feet. Must be able to frequently communicate in English (verbal), including hazard communication, giving and receiving trainings, working as part of a team, and supporting volunteers. Must be able to recognize and respond to potential hazards based on both visual and auditory warnings systems at all times.
This is a full-time position, for up to 1 year with an option to extend. Compensation is $15-$18/hour, depending on skills and work experience. This position offers health, dental and vision insurance, chiropractic/acupuncture, life insurance, long-term disability, employee assistance program (EAP), Flex Savings Account (FSA), 403b retirement account, commuter benefits, and 20 days paid time off, 3 sick days, and 12 paid holidays.