Primary Function: Plan and perform the operation of an electric powered crane mounted on a railroad-type chassis to properly grade and unload scrap from railroad cars and trucks and to reload scrap for transfer to the melt shop. Stockpile as needed following procedures and sequences.
Tools & Equipment: Overhead Dual Magnet Electric Crane
Materials: Scrap metal
1. Operates Overhead dual magnet crane to perform the following:
a. Identify various scrap grades and quality, generally repetitive and routine in nature, requiring much care to effectively service the melt shop and safely operate the crane.
b. Operate the crane almost continuously with magnet-type lifting devices.
c. Monitor scrap supply in the melt shop and load scrap as needed.
d. Load scrap according to selected recipe in QMOS and report any changes to supervisor.
e. Coordinates scrap deliveries to the bay from the Scrap Yard with Scrap Yard Operators to ensure continuous supply of scrap is on hand.
f. Help to identify causes/location of suspect scrap for residuals out of spec and report to supervisor any findings.
g. Load melt shop charge buckets.
2. Checks over all working conditions of crane and fills out safety check list, reports discrepancies to supervisor.
3. Assist maintenance personnel in the repair of the crane.
4. Operates the crane in accordance with plant safety procedures and established practices. 5. Keeps crane in a clean and orderly condition.
- High School diploma/GED
- 2+ years working in an industrial environment
- Experienced in working in extreme weather conditions
- Able to climb, bend, stand or lift items
- Overhead crane experience
Wages & Benefits
Optimus Steel has a competitive benefit package.
Dental, Vision, Health & Dependent Care FSA
401K, Company match
Basic Life/Accident Insurance
Employee Assistance Program