Location: Charleston, SC or Silver Spring, MD preferred
Lynker/CSS is searching for a talented data scientist to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Office for Coastal Management. This exceptional individual will integrate and manage economic data to support projects focused on understanding the impacts of development and conservation on community economies and natural resources in coastal areas.
The successful candidate will serve as a data scientist working as part of a team responsible for developing socioeconomic data and integrating and analyzing data from a variety of sources. The Data Scientist will be part of a team that provides training and technical assistance to federal, state and local agencies conducting economic analyses in support of coastal management decisions.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the list below:
- Supporting projects and providing technical assistance including acquiring, processing, and analyzing economic and demographic data
- Exploring the use of demographic and economic data to identify underserved areas and support the development and distribution of products and services that address DEIJA
- Supporting regional economic accounting studies to assess the dependence of states, territories, and regions on coastal and marine resources and identifying and incorporating data into operational data streams
- Leading production of and optimizing the processes for acquiring, producing, and analyzing national and regional marine and coastal economic and demographic statistics. Managing and documenting data.
- Communicating timely, accurate, and relevant economic information and data products to partners and via web pages, story maps, reports, and other relevant outreach products.
- Masters degree with 4+ years experience
- Experience with NOAA or coastal or marine economics
- Experience with economic data
- Strong Python (preferred) or R coding experience, particularly developing repeatable workflows for data production, quality assurance, and analysis
- Familiarity working with economic and/or demographic statistics
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with management, colleagues, and external partners
- Strong communication, writing, and organizational skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow standard operating procedures and guidance documentation
- Ability to pass a National Agency Check (NACI).
- Experience with coastal or marine economics
- SAS and/or SQL experience
- Experience working with pandas and docx python libraries
- Experience with ESRI software, including basic geospatial analysis and the development of dynamic and cached map services
- Comfortable communicating technical information to non-technical audiences
- Connections, experience, collaborations with other NOAA line offices and or other government agencies
Lynker is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker is an E-Verify employer.
Lynker is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.