The Digital Communications Manager will play a key role in advancing policy change through the ACLU of Virginia’s integrated advocacy program that seeks to protect civil rights and civil liberties through litigation, legislation, organizing, and public education. The Manager will provide essential strategic, tactical, and creative digital support to effectively advance the ACLU-VA’s mission and program priorities. The Manager is principally responsible for strategizing, operating, growing, and maintaining the ACLU-VA’s online presence across all platforms and for providing graphic design support for the affiliate. The Manager may also participate in the development of audio and video assets.
- Create strategic social media strategic campaigns in support of the organization’s public education goals
- Manage the affiliate’s social media accounts, including curation of audio and video and other multimedia content and effectively engage online followers and communities.
- Engage social influencers such as journalists, policy makes, advocates impacted voices, and celebrities to amplify ACLU messages and issues.
- In cooperation with the communications, legal, advocacy, organizing and development teams, proactively plan and curate social media content to support the organizations short and long-term policy goals across its issue areas.
- Manage digital content calendar to ensure the timely placement of digital content on a variety of platforms.
- Monitor the news cycle and support the organization’s communications efforts by effectively communicating news that affects internal and external stakeholders online.
- Create impactful social media owned content strategies to support the ACLU-VA program and mission.
- Track social and digital media trends for new approaches and new platforms that can be used to promote affiliate messages and grow different audiences.
- Create social and digital media paid campaigns.
Design and Production
- Design and produce digital and print materials, including but not limited to graphics for email, social media, web campaigns, brochures, signage, banners, reports, digital and traditional ads, GIFs and more.
- Write, design, and produce presentations and print materials needed for speaking engagements and external events.
- Produce digital toolkits and other work product for public consumption.
- Work with Community and Coalition Storyteller to develop, edit, and maintain audio and video assets to be used in communications strategies to support ACLU-VA programs and issue-area advocacy.
- Periodically, oversee work of external designers for ACLUVA projects.
- Assist with development of strategic communications plans and programs that promote civil liberties and civil rights across the Commonwealth.
- Assist in defining appropriate audiences, messaging, and communications delivery mechanisms to support ACLU-VA goals.
- Assist in developing metrics for measuring the effectiveness of digital communications efforts, across all platforms.
SALARY RANGE: $53,000 to $69,094. Expected starting salary up to midpoint of $61,047.
- A commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, and to racial justice and civil rights issues and an understanding that these issues are central to overall protection of civil liberties.
- The ability to work alone and as a part of a team with volunteers, staff, board members and the public.
- Ability to communicate and interact positively with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance within the organization and broader community.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong social media competency, particularly with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok, and a curiosity to follow digital trends to stay ahead of the market.
- A keen eye for design, layout, and presentation with the ability to design visually appealing reports, publications, and presentations.
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems, including online communications, word processing, graphic design software and AV editing software and equipment.
- A confident and professional work style, superior problem-solving skills, and an ability to work creatively and independently.
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines on concurrent projects in a fast-paced, occasionally stressful rapid response work environment.
- Willingness and availability to work occasional evenings, weekends, and/or overtime as necessary; and occasional travel in Virginia and to other states for conferences and training.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong writing skills;
- Experience with audio and video production;
- Experience or educational background in a communication related field;
- Ability to speak and/or write in Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Arabic, or other language spoken by diverse communities we wish to reach in Virginia; and
- Valid Driver’s license.
COMPANY PROVIDED EQUIPMENT USED
- Computer, phone, copier, scanner, fax, still and video cameras.