Responsible for the supervision and coordination of an assigned shift of the Beaumont Steel Mill Melt Shop engaged in the production of steel, which would include electric furnace operation, ladle metallurgy station and associated duties.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Under the direction of the Production Manager, this position is primarily accountable for the supervision of an operating shift of the Melt Shop. While the incumbent is restricted in decision making in certain areas (major breakdowns, serious labor problems, selection of materials), incumbent is given considerable latitude in the operation of the shift. This position reports to the Production Manager. Reporting to the incumbent are 15 shift employees.
1. Responsible for production of prescribed quality of product.
2. Responsible for production of scheduled tons of steel.
3. Responsible for proper, efficient and effective work methods.
4. Responsible for proper operation and utilization of equipment to prevent
damage and minimize repair.
5. Responsible for the diagnosis and subsequent solution of breakdown
6. Responsible for employee selection, training, evaluation and discipline.
7. Responsible for administering safety programs.
8. Responsible for departmental housekeeping.
9. Responsible for carrying out corporate policy and programs.
10. Responsible for leading team activities to accomplish improvement goals.
The incumbent must have six (6) to eight (8) years experience in steel making methods and techniques to include: basic metallurgical knowledge; broad melt shop background equivalent to a complete accredited apprenticeship training in order to produce over 100 different grades of carbon, SBQ, low residual steel; experience in arc furnace, continuous casting operations, the operation of cranes and other heavy equipment, and the ability to diagnose breakdown maintenance problems and direct the maintenance repair function.
Wages & Benefits
Optimus Steel has a competitive benefit package.
Dental, Vision, Health & Dependent Care FSA
401K, Company match
Basic Life/Accident Insurance
Employee Assistance Program