Truman seeks a seasoned communications professional with 10+ years of increasing responsibility to provide creative, inspiring leadership as the Vice President of Communications at the Truman Center and the Truman National Security Project. The Vice President of Communications is a key member of the Truman senior leadership team and will be responsible for enhancing Truman’s reputation and brand identity, fostering long-term relationships with members, journalists, think tanks, and other internal and external stakeholders that position and differentiate Truman among leading foreign policy and national security voices. The Vice President of Communications will develop and implement strategic and crisis communications plans and provide leadership to build out the social media strategy and operations of the Center and the Project. Key early priorities include a full assessment of existing communications functions, including Truman marketing and branding, messaging platforms, content development strategy, and social media strategy and management. In coordination with the senior team, the Vice President of Communications will develop media partnerships and collaborations with voices that expand Truman’s reach, engagement, and impact with key audiences.
As a key leader in the organization, the incumbent will uphold and implement DEIJ (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice) principles in all aspects of recruitment, management, and work products. The incumbent will also demonstrate a commitment to Truman’s principles of supporting a progressive, inclusive foreign policy that makes American lives better by advancing democracy, human rights, prosperity, and security at home and abroad.
The Vice President of Communications will report directly to the President and CEO.
From President and CEO:
“I am eager to hire a VP of Communications to serve as my thought partner and as a critical member of our senior leadership team to bring Truman to its next echelon of growth and expansion. Creative, entrepreneurial, and energetic leaders thrive at Truman because we’re dedicated to advancing an inclusive US foreign policy that makes American lives better through the dynamic engagement of our diverse nationwide network of leaders. If you’re bursting with ideas and ready to shake things up to seek real change, this role might be right for you. We are at an inflection point of new strategy, high ambition, and enormous opportunity to achieve big goals. If that inspires you to be a part of what we’re building, you’re the person we need! Join a team of people who truly like and root for each other, who support and celebrate each other’s diversity, both personally and professionally.”
- Jenna Ben-Yehuda, President and CEO
Truman’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice: Truman Center for National Policy and Truman National Security Project are leaders in the movement to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) as national security imperatives. In consultation with our Boards of Directors, Truman members, and a wide range of stakeholders, Truman continues to make strides toward creating a more just and equal world. Expanding the diversity of Americans who contribute to every level of the U.S. national security and foreign policy community not only enhances our nation’s security, but also strengthens U.S. global leadership and moral authority. American foreign policy is strongest when a variety of thoughts and perspectives are reflected in our domestic policies and foreign affairs.
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single qualification in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may come from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described. But be certain to include a thoughtful cover letter with your application. No candidate will not be considered without one.
- Recruit and build out new roles for communications operations, with a focus on driving impact and engagement on social media platforms and with press and media relations;
- Participate in setting organizational policies, establishing strategic priorities, and advancing organizational development plans;
- Develop and maintain digital and external content strategy in coordination with Truman strategic priorities and events;
- Assess and enhance existing marketing and branding strategies for the organization;
- Serve as the brand manager for the organization;
- Oversee marketing collateral design and production;
- Oversee media relations, including developing media partnerships;
- Develop and execute Truman-branded social media and web strategy, including Truman blog;
- Develop new/reinvigorated non-press content to improve communications with members and public (use of video, online and virtual events);
- Supervise maintenance of all online platforms, and cultivate the organization's digital communities and stakeholder engagement;
- Track metrics and conduct regular after-action reviews of communication initiatives to measure and evaluate the marketing success;
- Manage a combination of staff and consultants.
Successful candidates will have a combination of:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience and demonstrated experience in dynamic national security and foreign policy issues;
- Track record of success in developing and implementing communications strategic and crisis planning, including audience and message segmentation, editorial and content planning, and robust quantitative and qualitative approaches to prove content effectiveness;
- Proven ability in developing digital strategies that achieve grasstops advocacy campaign objectives;
- Exceptional skill with written and verbal communications and ability to effectively communicate strategic recommendations;
- Significant knowledge of the social and digital ecosystem, including web and social media platforms;
- Strategic and hands-on understanding of the principles of paid media planning and how to incorporate advertising into comprehensive content strategies designed to engage a variety of audiences across digital and social channels;
- Experience presenting and articulating integrated digital strategy, including campaign goals, objectives, and measures of success;
- Experience developing data-driven content strategies required and experience developing strategies informed by CRM and third-party data;
- Experience developing and conducting ongoing content performance tests and implementing optimizations;
- Basic graphic design and video editing;
- Experience planning and executing content effectiveness studies across social platforms;
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data from all digital channels, drawing insights from the data to inform future recommendations and strategies; and
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, juggle multiple projects, and work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Team management and supervisory experience.
- Masters degree in relevant field
- Digital/creative agency, non-profit, and/or public policy experience;
- Experience with Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and the Facebook and Twitter pixels as well as social media management tools such as Sprout Social or Hootsuite Enterprise;
- Experience in working in Adobe Premiere Pro.
Truman salary bands are aligned with OPM General Schedule rates for the DC Locality. Vice President level roles are GS 14/15 equivalents.
We are unable to accept phone calls regarding this role.