The Heavy Equipment Operator supports the safe and efficient operation of the scrap yard by operating various material handling equipment relevant to a scrap yard, including material handlers, front-end loaders, skid steers, and other pieces of heavy or light equipment. Equipment operators may perform various duties, such as feeding the shredder feed conveyor, loading and unloading trucks, and moving materials safely about the yard. This position requires attention to detail and a strong emphasis on safety.
ABOUT HARMON SCRAP METAL
We are Harmon Scrap Metal, we recycle by processing scrap metal, and we are growing by the day. Our mission is to empower people to recycle the past to impact the future. We are intentional and disciplined in our pursuit to see every team member reach their personal, professional, and financial goals through the work we do together. Our core values, Discipline, Trust, Accountability, Alignment, and Adaptability, are the backbone of our business. They guide our hiring process and daily operations. We are transparent and results-oriented in all we do.
- Properly follow company and OSHA safety procedures; attend safety meetings and participate in safety program
- Operate heavy equipment of various sizes, including material handler, loaders, skid steers, etc.
- Duties include but are not limited to loading scrap material onto shredder feed conveyor, unloading vehicles, pushing shred pile up, moving material throughout the yard, loading trucks and railcars, etc.
- Perform daily pre-operation inspections on equipment, reporting any defects or needed repairs via CRMM app
- Keep grounds clear of debris while maintaining safety standards
- General labor duties that may include but not limited to sweeping, shoveling and general clean-up of any area and/or equipment throughout the yard
- Effectively communicate over radio with teammates and truck drivers for traffic coordination, production, and safety procedures
- Attend and participate in internal meetings and complete required training
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management
- QSEHRA Reimbursement
- Paid Holidays
- PTO Program
- Retirement Plan
- Professional Training & Development Opportunities
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
As an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting the needs of a multigenerational and multicultural workforce, Harmon Scrap Metal recognizes that a diverse staff, reflective of our community, is an integral and welcome part of a successful and ethical business. We hire local talent at all levels regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability and actively foster inclusion in all forms both within our company and across interactions with clients, candidates, and partners.
If this position caught your eye, send us your resume! For best consideration, include the job title and source where you found this position in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: The sorting and processing of scrap metals involves using permanent magnets and electromagnets, creating magnetic fields, which can interfere with electronic medical devices like cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators.
- Thorough understanding of practices involved in the use of various types of light and heavy equipment
- Thorough understanding of maintenance and basic upkeep associated with light and heavy equipment
- Thorough understanding of safety protocols and ability to safely operate machinery
- Superior skill operating assigned equipment safely and efficiently
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety manuals and procedure manuals
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 2 years of experience using a front-end loader, skid steer or scrap handler in an industrial/outdoor work environment
- Knowledge of heavy-equipment operating principles
- Ability to operate equipment under varying working conditions
- Valid Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record
- Sit for extended periods, up to 15 feet from ground level
- Ability to lift, push, or pull a minimum of 50 pounds
- Frequently climb up and down ladders; crouch and bend at the knee; stoop or bend at the waist; reach arms overhead; and twist and turn at the neck and trunk
- Continually handle and grasp levers and dials; continuous leg and foot motion when using pedals
- Work environment involves frequent and/or regular exposure to natural and unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, biohazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises
- Walk frequently on uneven surfaces