ASSOCIATE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST POSITION PURPOSE
Associate Environmental Scientists use their species specific and relevant environmental knowledge to provide important services pertaining to the health of communities and work to protect the environment from serious hazards. This position is a professional position with responsibility for gathering, compiling, analyzing, and interpreting complex data, then utilizing the information to prepare technical documents and presentations, with an emphasis on NEPA and CEQA compliance. This position is one of a team member who works with general direction from his/her supervisor and expresses a higher level of independence than an Assistant Environmental Scientist by performing more complex tasks with less direct oversight. The Associate Environment Scientist will assist in routine to moderately complex environmental assessment and remediation projects. This includes the assessment of the risks of new construction to the environment that is needed in order to complete our projects.
- Conduct field surveys for threatened, endangered, or rare species, as well as species’ habitat in support of ESA, CWA, Section 404, and other environmental regulations
- Observe and monitor species in the field
- Conduct archival / electronic research with USFWS and other state and federal agencies
- Conduct land use / development monitoring for natural / biological resources protection
- Assure permits are requested and maintained appropriately
- Provide input for those sections of NEPA and CEQA documents pertaining to environment and data collection methodology
- Prepare leave in technical memoranda, meeting minutes, transmittals, presentations, and other written materials
- Assist senior staff with presentations to public agencies and clients
- Assist with teaching junior staff
- Compile data and information for public presentations
- Other duties as assigned or as needed in order to successfully complete project deliverables or meet internal goals
ASSOCIATE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST REQUIRED EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biology, botany, wildlife management, ecology, environmental biology, or environmental science
ASSOCIATE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
- Two (2) to five (5) years’ experience (or MA/MS and one (1) years of experience), especially in the areas of NEPA and CEQA compliance, wetlands delineations, CWA, ESA, and related federal and/or state environmental compliance regulations. Field experience in California or with CA species preferred.
The Associate Environmental Scientist provides support to all members of the environmental scientist group, as well as the planning group. Assistant Environmental Scientists are assigned to a Team/Group Leader for managerial purposes but will also receive guidance and direction from the discipline’s Technical Leader. The Associate Environmental Scientist is encouraged to create a mentor/protégé relationship with one or more senior members of the bio team and may be asked to act as a Teaming Advisor for junior staff. Associate Environmental Scientists are expected to work with both planning and bio team members throughout the entire firm in order to promote our “One Company” philosophy.