This position reports to scrap yard management and the melting supervisor. Responsibilities include operation of locomotives, railcar movements (switching) and the operation of material handling equipment and overhead cranes. This is a 24/7 shift position with work performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
Scrap Yard Operators support all scrap delivery and consumption including initial quality and environmental inspection, weighing, data entry, recordkeeping and reporting and inventory management. Pre use inspection and responsible management of equipment is required.
Rail - Scrap Yard Operators are responsible for safe rail movement to support plant operations. Including strategic and timely movement of scrap to the melt shop and providing railcars for all other operational needs.
Material Handler- Scrap Yard Operators load and unload materials as needed with hydraulic material handlers. Material may be loaded or unloaded from truck, rail, or barge.
Overhead Crane- Scrap Yard Operators use overhead cranes to load charge buckets for the furnace. Based on melt schedule and scrap recipes they are key in loading buckets to meet grade requirements. They are responsible for communication of upcoming scrap needs to ensure the prompt delivery of scrap grades to support production.
• High School diploma/GED
• 2+ years working in an industrial environment
• Experienced in working in extreme weather conditions
• Able to climb, bend, stand or lift items
• Strong Mechanical aptitude
• Must be able to pass a written test, face to face interview and a hands-on assessment
• Use of tools and equipment: Overhead crane, hydraulic material handler, locomotive, rail cars, computer, handheld radio rail scales