On-Call Victim Advocates are responsible for providing case management, advocacy and support services to residential clients living in the Safe House, a 24-hour emergency shelter for individuals and families fleeing domestic violence, sexual violence, and human trafficking. HopeWorks’ staff, board and volunteers are invested and engaged in altering the systems and imbalances of power that maintain the status quo - including racism, poverty, and gendered violence. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the root causes of sexual and intimate partner violence and a commitment to social justice.
• Bachelor’s degree in psychology, human services, social work or related field (preferred but not required)
• Previous shelter, family violence or sexual assault experience (preferred)
• Oral and written fluency in Spanish, Korean, Urdu or French (preferred but not required)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Passionate about the mission and philosophy of HopeWorks
• Current driver’s license and reliable transportation with up to date insurance
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and other computer software
• Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision
• Experience, ability, and willingness to work as a team with diversified staff
• Able to implement a strengths-based approach to providing trauma-informed services
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide day-to-day support to residents in emergency shelter
• Complete assessments, intakes, exits as needed – managing related documentation with accuracy and timeliness
• Actively safety plans with hotline callers and current clients
• Able to effectively de-escalate clients and mediate conflict between clients
• Advocate with other agencies on behalf of clients
• Assist in the completion of public benefits, housing and other applications as needed
• Facilitate weekly house meetings and/or skill development workshops focused on increasing clients’ ability to
work through trauma, adjust to life in shelter, and move towards independence
• Utilize the agency vehicle to provide transportation to clients as needed
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
• Accurately complete client paperwork and compile reports as needed
• Document and communicate all pertinent information/issues for the following shifts
• Conduct daily house checks and report any maintenance concerns to appropriate staff
• Attend weekly residential staff meetings on Tuesday’s from 2pm-4pm if available
• Ensure that the physical appearance of all residential facilities meets agency standards regarding health, safety, and sanitation, not limited to trash removal
• Participate in regular supervision with Residential Director and/or Assistant Residential Director to promote the provision of quality services
• Other duties as assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, communicate and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
To Apply: Applicants must submit a letter of interest (cover letter) and complete resume. Resumes submitted without a letter of interest (cover letter) will not be reviewed. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will only respond to applicants whose candidacy is being considered.