JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Safely operates transit buses, para transit vehicles and vans (hereafter referred to as "bus" or "buses") to transport passengers according to a fixed or variable route schedule in accordance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations and employer's policies, procedures and guidelines. Promotes positive image of PARTA by providing safe, reliable and customer-oriented services. Performs work safely; follows safety work rules, guidelines and procedures and exercises maximum care and good judgement to prevent injury and accidents from occurring.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION: Reports to work before scheduled departure time to receive route and vehicle assignment. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance. Conducts daily vehicle pre-trip inspection.
Safely operates buses to transport passengers according to fixed or variable route schedule as assigned. Pick up and drops off passengers according to service route; adjusts route as needed or directed. Collects fares and tickets and/or checks passenger I.D; announces stops. Check for items or packages left on vehicle; reports suspicious items, activity, emergency imminent safety conditions to dispatcher or supervisor.
Transports social service agency clients in accordance with service contract requirements, including but not limited to clients of the Board of Mental Retardation and Development Disabilities, Portage Area Senior Services, Area Agency on the Aging and other social service agencies.
Assists all passengers of para transit services; assists passengers with mobility limitations, older adults and persons with packages on and off the vehicle as appropriate. Loads and secures passengers in wheelchairs in accordance with safety guidelines.
Interacts with passengers in a courteous manner; provides information and answers questions about fares, routes and services. Refers complaints or non-routine matters to a supervisor. Exercises discretion and sound judgement when communicating and interacting with general passengers and social service agency client passengers.
Communicates with dispatchers and/or supervisors during route. Follows verbal and written instructions. Completes necessary paperwork in a legible and timely manner such as accurately recording mileage at each stop; of passenger cancellations and no-shows; completing daily vehicle pre-trip inspection report and accident and incident reports as necessary; recording fare, donation, billing information and passenger counts; and reporting other related information or data as directed.
Performs duties in accordance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations and employers policies, procedures and guidelines. Successfully completes initial training program and retraining programs and classes as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Attends periodic driver meetings. May be assigned work with new drivers in training.
- Completion of secondary education (High School or GED)
- 18 years of age and two years verifiable driving experience
- Valid State of Ohio Driver's License with no more that 2 points
- Successful completion of post-offer Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examination including drug screen.
- Remain insurable under the employer's vehicle insurance plan
- Experience that demonstrates possession of ability to acquire the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
Knowledge of: traffic laws, safe driving practices, employer policies and procedures; and the Portage County area
Skill in: operation of listed tools and equipment
Ability to: successfully complete initial training program and retraining program; safely operate transit buses, paratransit vehicles and vans; use and interpret a map to locate destinations; establish and maintain effective relationships with passengers, coworkers, supervisors, and the general public; exercise discretion and sound judgement; communicate effectively verbally, maintain accurate written records and complete reports; work independently; follow verbal and written instructions; provide safe, reliable and customer-oriented services.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid State of Ohio Driver's License with no more than two (2) points required at time of hire
- Successful completion of previous employment verification and criminal background investigation
- Successful completion of post-offer Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examination including drug screen prior to hire is required. In addition, the employee must continue to meet driver fitness standards, as determined by periodic DOT medical examinations
- Successful completion of requirements to obtain Class B Commercial Driver's License with passenger endorsement upon Employer's offer to train.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Operates tools and equipment including to but not limited to transit buses, paratransit vehicles and vans, including wheelchair lifts and tie downs, and all vehicle components, Mobile Data Terminal (MDT), telephone, cellular phone, mobile or portable radio, map, route schedule/manifest.
The physical demands as described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In accordance with the U.S Department of Labor Physical Demands Strength Rating, this is considered Medium Work-exerting 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Enter and exit bus using all entrances, including emergency door
- Climb into driver's seat and fasten seat belt
- Mover from driver seat over "doghouse" area of bus
- Walk through bus center aisle
- Open and close passenger entrance door using right arm
- Open driver side window using left arm
- Open and close hatch at bus roof and overhead compartments
- While sitting with back against backrest of driver's seat, must be able to place entire bottom of feet on pedals
- While sitting with back against backrest of driver's seat, touch palms of hands on steering wheel
- While sitting with back against backrest of driver's seat, maintain 2" clearance between steering wheel and body
- While sitting with back against backrest of driver's seat, see over bus dashboard
- Walk passengers from pick-up location/door to bus
- Carry, lift, move items such as packages, grocery bags or oxygen tank
- Assist passengers on and off the bus
- Push or pull wheelchair up and down ramp with incline
- Operate wheelchair lift mechanically
- Operate wheelchair lift manually
- Strap down and unstrap two wheelchairs side by side in rear of bus
- Call out all stops
- Answer questions and provide information to passengers, dispatchers, supervisors and coworkers
- Complete paperwork in legible and timely manner
- Perform pre-trip inspection; record and report information, damage and equipment condition
- Complete incident report after injury, collision or other incident
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions, including seasonal inclement weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, or toxic caustic chemicals, exhaust fumes, or human fluids. The noise levels in the work environment is usually quiet while in the office, or moderately loud when in the field. The employee may encounter hostile or difficult passengers.
Work shifts vary from day to night and operate seven days a week, including weekends and holidays and may include split or varied shifts. The employee will be required to wear employer-issued uniforms. The employee will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment and is required to comply with the employer's Drug Free Workplace Policy.