The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, we are now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most – fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are seeking a Product Manager to guide the development of our editorial websites, with the focus on continuous improvement of the audience experience and membership journey. We’re looking for someone comfortable using product analytics to inform frequent experimentation, who is accountable for communicating and coordinating efforts between in-house developers, analysts, and designers, as well as third-party vendors. The ideal candidate is familiar with modern CMS platforms and is up to date on the latest product management tools, methods, and workflows.
This is a new position, and you’ll have a chance to make a significant impact in helping the organization develop a product-oriented mentality at an exciting moment in the company's history.
- Managing and mapping project timelines
- Ideating and executing experiments to improve membership conversions
- Performing quality assurance on new and existing features
- Consensus building across departments
- Managing various vendor and platform relationships
- Making data-driven decisions from reports and web analytics tools
- 3+ years of product manager experience
- Understanding product management lifecycles
- Authoring detailed product requirements for engineers
- Experience making data-informed decisions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- A collaborative mindset and a strong sense of curiosity
Nice to Have
- Previous journalism and/or product experience within a media organization
- Experience with Python or SQL
If you don’t meet all of these requirements but still believe you have what it takes to succeed in this role, we’d love to hear examples of how you’ve helped teams succeed in your cover letter.
COVID-19 Requirements: Effective 6/1/2022 Chicago Sun-Times Media (CSTM) will adopt a hybrid in-office/remote work schedule and require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.