Location: This job is open to all candidates globally (potential office co-location in Brussels, Reston VA (US), and Manila.) Must overlap some working hours with US-ET and Central Europe Time (CET).
Reports To: Global Chief Program Officer
Supervises: International Climate Campaigner, Associate Climate Director, Technical and Research Manager, Director of Global Partnerships.
Posting Date: May 2, 2022
Closing Date: June 2, 2022. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application as early as possible, as the recruitment panel will be interviewing candidates on a rolling basis.
Health Care Without Harm seeks to transform health care worldwide so that it reduces its environmental footprint and becomes a leader in the global movement for environmental health and justice. Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) works with hospitals, health systems, health professionals, NGOs, ministries of health, and United Nations organizations to achieve its mission. It has offices in the European Union, United States, and Southeast Asia, a dynamic program in Latin America and partner organizations in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Nepal and South Africa. Its Global Green and Healthy Hospitals Network has over 1,500 members in 72 countries who represent the interests of more than 43,000 hospitals and health centers.
Health Care Without Harm’s International Climate Program works to align the health care sector with the ambition of the Paris Agreement while meeting global health goals through three core strategies: 1) mitigation: reducing the sector’s climate footprint and putting it on a trajectory toward zero emissions; 2) resilience: fostering climate resilient hospitals, health centers, and communities; and 3) leadership: mobilizing health care’s ethical, economic, and policy influence to advance the transition to a zero emissions, healthy and equitable future. In India, HCWH works to advance these goals by collaborating with several Indian partner organizations.
The International Climate Director is responsible for leading and overseeing HCWH’s global climate program and implementing the organization’s climate strategy. They lead and work collaboratively with the global climate staff that comprise the International Climate Coordination Team, with HCWH offices and partners around the world, and with International Directors of other HCWH program areas. They are responsible for the sound management of HCWH’s global climate budget, and have lead responsibility for coordinating the implementation of the climate strategy’s “scaling strategy 2” -- national and subnational policy for climate action.
- Lead the Global Climate Team and Implement the organization’s climate strategy
- Oversee the evolution and integration of the Climate Strategy, into an overarching HCWH strategic framework.
- Assure integration of/synergy between global climate work and other priority program areas.
- Lead HCWH Climate Policy Development and Implementation
1. Lead the Global Climate Team and Implement the 5-year Climate Strategy
- Guide and oversee International Climate Coordination team to assure coherent strategic direction and integration of HCWH’s climate program scaling strategies: network expansion and facility/system mitigation, policy engagement, economic transformation and health equity and climate justice.
- Assure that the International Climate Coordination Team works in collaboration with team members from offices and partners on multiple continents to co-create strategies and approaches to achieve HCWH’s global climate goals.
- In collaboration with other international program directors, assure the integration of the climate strategy with other HCWH program priority areas.
- Work with the International Climate Associate Director to assure:
i. The operational implementation of the global climate strategy.
ii. Consistent and sound program budget planning and management
iii. Program planning among and between climate staff, offices and partners.
- Work with the Director of Global Partnerships to:
i. Co-lead, HCWH’s engagement with global partners and national governments, in the COP26 Health Programme.
ii. Assure that partnerships with international institutions are meeting HCWH’s strategic needs.
iii. Build collaboration on the continuing development of the Global Climate Strategy.
iv. Maintain and build partnerships with international funding organizations.
- Work with the International Technical and Research Manager to assure:
i. The ongoing development of tools, resources and projects to support hospitals and health systems to implement climate mitigation and resilience strategies.
ii. Alignment and integration of health care climate action plan strategies with climate measurement tools and strategies.
iii. Development and delivery of training and other strategies that help scale the uptake of HCWH tools.
iv. Engagement of partners and offices to develop a framework for climate resilience.
- Work with the International Climate Campaigner and help facilitate:
i. integration of health professional mobilization strategies into the fabric of the global climate work.
ii. Development of a framework on climate justice and health equity (also with the Director of Global Partnerships).
- Collaborate with the International Sustainability Director to assure the development of a strong climate component of HCWH’s procurement work so that it contributes to the decarbonization of the global health care supply chain.
- Represent HCWH’s climate work with the media and core HCWH constituencies. Serve as a spokesperson in the mainstream and social media, at public events, at high level engagements and via publishing in sector publications.
2. Lead HCWH Climate Policy Development and Implementation. Lead the implementation of Scaling Strategy 2 of the Global Climate Strategy. Work in coordination and collaboration with HCWH’s worldwide team of offices and partners taking action on climate to:
- In collaboration with partners and global climate staff, support the piloting, implementation and scaling of national and subnational policies for health care decarbonization and resilience based on existing HCWH methodologies and frameworks.
- Align policy efforts with initiatives to promote, measure and track health care decarbonization and resilience. Assure the top-down and bottom-up integration of HCWH tools and initiatives for climate-smart healthcare.
- Assure the successful leveraging of HCWH’s partnership with UNFCCC’s Race to Zero to build momentum in the sector at the subnational, private system and facility level.
- Participate in the UNFCCC process, WHO engagement and other international processes in collaboration with the Director of Global Partnerships and other climate team members as appropriate.
- In collaboration with other members of the team, as well partners around the world, support the development of broader subnational and national policies and action plans to integrate health care into climate policy and climate into health policy, including integrating health care decarbonization into countries’ Nationally Determined Contributions to the Paris Agreement.
- Facilitate the development of agreed on HCWH policy and protocols on key climate-related issues as well as the collective understanding of the definition of specific terms used by the climate team around the world.
3. Leadership and Management
- Serve as spokesperson and communicator for HCWH, representing HCWH in the media, with key allies and global institutions.
- Participate in the Global Program Management Team.
- Play an active leadership role to foster the integration of initiatives across different program areas, while supporting planning and reporting of regrants to partners.
- Work with HCWH development staff and other leadership in regional offices to mobilize resources for the Global Climate Program and the HCWH Global Network more broadly, while assuring timely and robust reporting.
- Hold the broader organizational vision, supporting organizational goals.
- Act as a budget holder for all programs under the Global Climate Program.
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- Minimum Experience: 10 years of experience working on public health, healthcare and/or climate policy issues. Cross-cultural competencies.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree. Combined experience/education as a substitute for minimum education.
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Familiarity with climate change issues and organizations, and understanding of/familiarity with the health sector required.
- Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Preferred Experience: Multiple languages. Professional experience in multiple countries, and/or world regions; experience engaging multiple levels of governance; experience working in a virtual organization preferred.
- Preferred Field of Expertise: Climate and/or health policy advocacy.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively while organizing time efficiently.
- Experience in health and/or climate policy
- Strong familiarity with climate and/or health institutions in multiple countries and/or globally.
- Experience working in developing countries
- Strong cross-cultural competency.
- Multiple languages a plus.
- Strong writing skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to travel and work in multiple time zones and outside of regular business hours.
- Ability to remain attentive to details and identify resources for projects while maintaining deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully within a team including members and partners as well as the ability to work independently.
- Ability to speak publicly and engage at a high level with government officials, policy makers and the media.
- Able to quickly adapt with minimal coaching to new situations, processes; ability to adapt style to meet the needs of individuals and/or the organization.
- Understanding of the health care and environmental sectors.
- Fluency in MS Office Suite.
- Strong social media and networking skills.
What’s In It For You?
- Work for an organization where the mission is inspiring and your colleagues care deeply for the mission and the network of people carrying out that mission.
- Play a key role in helping drive growth, influence impact, and advance efforts to create a more sustainable health care sector and community.
- Be part of an inspirational global network.
- Fantastic benefits!
To Apply or Inquire
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth are committed to seeking and sustaining culturally and ethnically diverse organizations, and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving the mission of the organizations in respectful ways. HCWH is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, upload a cover letter and resume via this link. Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only competitive candidates will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process. Position open until June 2, 2022. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application as early as possible, as the recruitment panel will be interviewing candidates on a rolling basis.