The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
An Opportunity to Make an Impact
We believe independent journalism is essential to a well-functioning democracy and access to fact-based, objective news and information is a right of every citizen. We serve the public interest by creating diverse, compelling content that informs, inspires, delights, and enriches.
We are seeking an experienced General Assignment Reporter to join our growing newsroom. The General Assignment Reporter will provide breaking and trending news and feature coverage for and about the Chicago metropolitan area. The ideal candidate will be someone who can quickly discern facts from a political news conference or a crime scene as well as write with a fun, engaging voice on cultural trends. You may also be asked to provide multimedia elements for the stories you report.
- Provide breaking and trending news and feature coverage as well as produce in-depth pieces on trends and a variety of topics
- Report clearly, accurately, and fairly to deliver fully sourced new stories on tight deadlines
- Work collaboratively with editors and other reporters on breaking news and assigned stories
- A minimum of two years of experience as a reporter
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, or a related field
- A focus on producing accurate and factual stories
- Ability to collaborate with reporters and editors on stories
- Ability to write in-depth stories
- Ability to juggle multiple stories while working on longer pieces
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and some holidays
- Ability to fill in for vacationing beat reporters
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, vacation, holidays, life insurance, disability coverage, retirement savings, and a commuter benefits plan
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A flexible work schedule
Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand and help build the future of local news!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
COVID-19 Requirement: CST requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination hire.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis, which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.
CSTM is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable
accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.