We are offering an opportunity for veterinary students to experience a practical, clinical learning environment. Each externship will last one to six weeks, dependent upon the needs of the student. Our Externship Program runs year-round and offers veterinary students extensive hands-on learning in the following areas:
- Daily Rounds
- Client Relations
- Case Work Ups
- Cadaver Dissection
- Soft Tissue Surgery Shadowing (with opportunities to practice)
- General Practice Shadowing
- Dentistry Practice
- Emergency Critical Care
- Wildlife Medicine Practice (if opportunities arise)
- Business Management
- Qualifications: This externship is available to veterinary students in their third or fourth year (or equivalent) of the curriculum.
- Stipend: This is an unpaid externship, however, a stipend of $200 a week will be offered to students as well as accommodations.
- Housing: Accommodation options are available upon request.
We are a two facility, small animal practice which also takes care of rodents, reptiles, amphibians, and birds. We strive to provide quality veterinary medicine and surgery to all clients and their pets in a timely, friendly and professional manner. We treat all animals as valued members of our families and of our community. We encourage comradery, mentorship and an environment for everyone to learn and work at their own pace.
About Coronado Pet Hospital:
Coronado Pet Hospital has been providing exceptional veterinary care to Rio Rancho and southern Sandoval County for over 10 years under the same ownership. Our AAHA-accredited hospital offers a wide range of small animal care including general surgery and dentistry, internal medicine, comprehensive in-house laboratory, and digital radiography. Our experienced and compassionate team offers our clients 5-star service to go along with top-notch medical care.
About Petroglyph Animal Hospital:
Petroglyph Animal Hospital has been providing exceptional veterinary care to Albuquerque’s families for over 25 years. Our hospitals offer a wide range of animal services including general, orthopedic and laparoscopic surgery, internal medicine, pain control, endoscopy, comprehensive in-house laboratory, radiography, CT, and dentistry. We offer 24 hour nursing care for hospitalized patients. Both facilities are accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association. Our hours have been modified to accommodate our staff’s work-life balance.
We have experienced, long-term support staff on the premises 24 hours a day and have been under the same ownership since inception in 1995.
Our hospital is fully equipped with:
- HD CT Scanner with interpretation services
- Digital radiography and radiologist interpretation services
- Digital Dental radiology
- Therapeutic Laser
- Advanced anesthetic monitoring equipment
- Fully Equipped Surgical Suite
- Isolation Ward
- Oxygen Therapy and Nebulization Equipment
- Blood and Plasma Transfusion
- In-house Lab Machines/Equipment: CBC, Chem, T4, Bile Acid Tests, ACTH, iStat, SNAP Tests, Microscope, Sterilization Equipment