The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated to finding permanent homes for the more than 140,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas, who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking. The Foundation has an opening for a full-time social media coordinator.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
With support from the manager of digital communications, the social media coordinator will collaborate with internal and external audiences to increase awareness of and financial support for the Foundation. The social media coordinator will be a strong writer who develops clear and compelling content to be shared across various channels.
1. Support implementation of the Foundation’s strategy to grow and engage our community through social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram), consistently conveying the organization’s key messages and brand voice
- Collaborate with the digital communications manager and others to develop social post copy and design visuals that raise awareness, engage and steward donors and promote event participation
- Efficiently utilize content management tools (e.g., Sprout Social, WordPress) to schedule posts across platforms and respond to social comments and questions
- Support the development of analytics reports to drive future strategy (e.g., Sprout Social, Google Analytics, etc.)
- Nurture the Foundation’s community of supporters and influencers across social media channels and identify opportunities to expand reach and engagement
2. Write, edit and proofread communications materials in alignment with the Foundation’s brand standards and AP style, including editing and captioning of videos, writing of text messaging for stewardship and development of visual assets, blogs and resources shared across channels
3. Support management of the Foundation’s info email address, including responding to public inquiries and forwarding requests and opportunities to various departments to respond, as appropriate
4. Support other marketing and digital communications efforts, as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to serve in this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience utilizing best practices in digital communications to advance an organization’s mission and goals. Knowledge of effective digital communications, marketing, audience segmentation, organic and paid search strategies
- Experience managing social media communities and/or contributing content frequently, utilizing various channels and management tools strategically, and succinctly translating analytics into action-oriented information
- Experience using tools designed for nonprofit organizations, and the ability to learn new systems quickly
- Superior oral and written communication and editing skills. Knowledge and use of AP style
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects, on time and on budget
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Demonstrates integrity, credibility and a steadfast commitment to the organization’s mission
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field
- 2–4 years of experience in digital communications or social media management
- Experience in a consulting agency and/or a national nonprofit organization is a plus
- Limited travel required (less than 5%)
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, color, religion, religious beliefs, political affiliation, creed, HIV/AIDS status, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, familial status, veteran/military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, prior arrest or any other category protected by applicable law. Any employee who engages in such conduct is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.