The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
An Opportunity to Make an Impact:
We are looking for an innovative leader who can guide local business, work, and money coverage in one of the most exciting and diverse metropolitan areas in America.
The Business Editor would guide the day-to-day coverage of a small team and plan and coordinate coverage across our digital, print, and wire editions.
The ideal candidate will take a creative, experimental approach to the beat and will be excited to help develop reporters across the newsroom to think about and follow the money. You should have excellent news judgment and storytelling chops, and the ability to focus staff on the most distinctive and impactful stories about business and money in the Chicago area, and a passion for serving our audience and community. You should have a deep understanding of pocketbook issues, a desire to hold public organizations accountable, and high awareness of racial and socioeconomic equity issues. Experience working cross-functionally in a newsroom, managing and developing reporters, and serving diverse – and historically underserved – communities is a plus.
- Lead business reporters to produce a daily news report that serves our diverse community and stands out from the competition.
- Provide coverage of the city's Fortune 500 businesses, small businesses, startups, government agencies, and pocketbook issues tailored to a low-income and middle-class audience.
- Oversee business coverage to ensure a wide variety of exciting news and features on a daily and weekly basis.
- Work with the Executive Editor, Managing Editor, Senior Director of Audience, and other leaders to develop a business coverage strategy that serves the Chicago area, growing audience engagement and membership.
- Manage a team of reporters developing and inspiring journalists at all levels of the newsroom while creating a collaborative, supportive work environment to help a diverse range of employees succeed.
- Work not only with print and digital journalists but also collaborate with our partners at WBEZ.
- Work closely with audience and visual teams.
- Guide original, impactful projects and enterprise investigations.
- Promote diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a union environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related training.
- At least three years of editing experience.
- Knowledge of grammar and AP style.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong people-management skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to react quickly in a deadline-driven environment.
- Some knowledge of Chicago and the Midwest.
- Ability to balance a mix of short-term and long-term projects.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, retirement savings, and FSA plan including a commuter benefits plan
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A flexible work schedule
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand
- This a unique opportunity to lead an influential local news outlet in an innovative, exciting market at a time when the Sun-Times has joined Chicago Public Media, become a nonprofit and adopted a membership model without a paywall.
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law. late any applicable federal, state, or local law.