The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated to finding permanent homes for the more than 140,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas, who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Under the management of the senior staff accountant, to provide detailed and accurate preparation and organization of defined financial operations of the organization; to maintain fiscal accountability and transparency in all activities; to work in concert with senior management on current policies and practices impacting the excellence of the organization’s financial obligations.
1. Processes invoices and expense reports for payment
2. Ensures timely and accurate payments of all invoices
3. Maintains company purchasing card system, and processes any required changes, including:
- Issuance of new cards
- Cancellation of lost, stolen or terminated employee cards
- Monthly journal entry to record card activity
- Assistance with card system issues
4. Maintains accurate vendor files including names, addresses and tax identification numbers and prepares annual 1099’s
5. Maintains company invoice processing system, codes invoices and prepares checks and ACH payments
6. Assists with month-end and year-end close procedures
7. Prepares schedules and reports for annual audits and 990 tax filings
8. Serves as backup for any finance department procedure as may be assigned or required
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to serve in this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with accounting areas including general ledger accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and commitment to the mission
- Values diversity and promotes an inclusive culture
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in finance/accounting or related field preferred
- 1-3 years proficiency with general ledger, accounts payable and accounts receivable tasks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, general ledger/accounting systems (preferably Oracle Netsuite)
No travel required
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, color, religion, religious beliefs, political affiliation, creed, HIV/AIDS status, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, familial status, veteran/military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, prior arrest or any other category protected by applicable law. Any employee who engages in such conduct is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.