Working at Christianity Today is a career as well as a calling. It’s an opportunity to collaborate with a passionate and dynamic team that stewards an extraordinary legacy while building something exciting and new.
Christianity Today was founded by Billy Graham in 1956. Over the course of 66 years, it has platformed the best of Christian thought and reported on the events and trends shaping the future of Christianity and its ministry to the world. Today, it is rapidly expanding its global storytelling, pressing into new media, and deepening its journalism and thought leadership.
Christianity Today (CT) is hiring a full-time Latin America Associate Editor to produce informative news and opinion articles focused on evangelical/Protestant Christians in Latin America. We’re looking for an experienced journalist who passionately believes that the gospel of Jesus Christ is a transforming and vital force and that God’s primary way of working in the world is through the church.
This is a new beat for CT and you will be joining the expanding CT Global team. Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English is a must. Living in Latin America is strongly preferred. The associate editor also consults and advises on coverage of the Hispanic diaspora in the United States and on CT’s Spanish translation projects. Finally, this person will also help us to better understand and grow our Spanish-language Christian audience.
The primary purpose of these articles will be to cover the issues and perspectives of Latin Christian. The associate editor’s work, which will include reported stories and acquiring op-eds will be characterized by a faithful, news-driven perspective that has both historical and theological rigor.
The Latin America Associate Editor is an important part of CT’s efforts to build a “central nervous system for the global body of Christ,” offering constructive guidance and accurate reporting on the church and culture from East to West and vice versa. It will involve working on both long articles and shorter pieces, for print and online.
It’s a great opportunity for someone who loves highlighting voices from the overlooked, thoughtful middle amid today’s polemic extremes, and who appreciates the power of using current events to provoke thought and to inject expert wisdom into social media feeds and search engines.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- File several publication-ready articles each week, whether self-written or assigned to freelancers and then edited.
- Participate in relevant staff meetings.
- Attend relevant conferences and meetings with sources and writers.
Success Factors - Job Competencies
- Meet output goals; file articles that are formative, informative, and free from errors.
- Increase CT’s current readership base in Latin America.
- Increase the engagement of CT’s global readership with articles involving Latin America evangelicals.
- Perform additional job-related duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of experience working as an editor or reporter, ideally in a setting that required speed, accuracy, and depth.
- Degree in journalism and theology is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning (whether formally or informally).
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the Bible, the church, and the evangelical movement.
- Excellent English proofreading and editorial skills.
- An appreciation for the history, mission, and values of Christianity Today.
- Professional written fluency in English.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Residency in Latin America is preferred.
- Available to travel within Latin America and the US when necessary.
CT offers a comprehensive benefits package. Check out our careers page to learn more!
CT headquarters are located in Illinois. This remote position has the opportunity to work-from-anywhere.
Candidates must attach the following items along with their resume and cover letter:
- 2-3 work samples
- 2-3 ideas for CT articles you’d love to pursue as the Latin America Associate Editor, including a possible headline and a paragraph describing the likely angle. Please note that we’re only using these for hiring purposes, but we may have similar ideas already in our editorial pipeline.
Exact compensation may vary based on experience, skills, and location.