JOB TITLE: Director of Information Technology
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: 2 direct reports
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITIES: IT budget
CLASSIFICATION Full time, Salary, Exempt
LOCATION: Virtual - Continental US. Home office
APPLICATIONS: Position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin on December 10, 2019.
COMPENSATION: Pay range for this position is $75,000 to $95,000 annual salary
BENEFITS: AASHE offers a generous benefits package including but not limited to: health, dental and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, life insurance, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
Oversees the organization’s IT operations and provides strategic direction & administrative support for daily activities of the IT department. Coordinates and implements the systems and services that keep essential IT solutions available to the organization and all stakeholders. Ensures the streamlined operation of the IT department in alignment with AASHE business objectives. Works closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. Serves as a member of the Director’s Team, a collaborative group that provides overall guidance to the Executive Director and is responsible for the implementation of the organizational strategic plan
- Develop and lead AASHE’s IT strategy
- Maintain, improve and sunset existing in-house custom Python/Django applications
- Manage third-party platform relationships including wordpress applications, AMS systems, and conference management software
- Work with internal and external teams to provide technical solutions to business needs, from concept to execution (defining requirements, expectations and timeline) while prioritizing efficiency and security
- Develop and administer the IT budget and project priorities in coordination with the Director’s team
- Manage and improve current development, testing and deployment pipelines
- Provide general IT support for internal business critical applications like email and file sharing
- Facilitate IT projects throughout the software development life-cycle, from conception to launch to evaluation. This includes project management, design, implementation, and quality assurance.
- Analyze IT infrastructure and systems performance to assess operating costs, productivity levels, upgrade requirements, and other metrics and needs.
- Update and continuously improve internal IT documentation around software development standards, processes and supporting technologies.
- Manage IT staffing, including recruitment, supervision, development, and evaluation.
- Strong technical leadership background
- Managing relationships with external technical service providers
- Working with in-house and external developers to build quality software
- Excellent communication skills including providing and receiving feedback
- Mastery of the software development process from gathering requirements through delivery and into the maintenance, support, and risk management cycle
- Ability to manage and maintain a fully functioning professional home office
- Ability to set priorities and adapt to changing priorities, meet multiple daily, weekly and monthly deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and in teams and resolve practical problems
- IT strategy development
- Project management
- Personnel management
- IT security
- IT budget creation and management
- Three or more years experience developing database-driven web applications using web-based programming languages (Python-preferred)
- Three years of experience with website content administration using a CMS
- At least five years of experience managing software engineers and technical teams
- Customer service experience, including the use of a CRM applications a plus
- Familiarity with prototyping, sketch, and digital wire-framing preferred
- Experience delivering and maintaining custom applications
- At minimum a BA degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Sciences, MIS or similar curriculum or equivalent experience
- Knowledge in technology and business management
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
Occasional travel is required for this job, including the annual conference for up to 7 days at a time, annual staff retreat, annual director’s retreat and director’s team meetings. Travel expenses are paid for or reimbursed by AASHE.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required. May be asked to perform other duties as required.