POSITION TITLE: Conference and Events Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing, Meetings and Membership
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Exempt, Salary
LOCATION: Home office. Candidates from Midwest & Northeast regions of the US will be considered
APPLICATIONS: Position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin on December 13, 2019.
COMPENSATION: $65,000-$75,000 annual salary
BENEFITS: generous benefits package including but not limited to: health, dental and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, life insurance, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
As the Conference and Events Manager, you will be accountable for the planning, coordination and delivery of conferences and events ranging in size from 50 to 2000+ people. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, site research and recommendation to senior management, contract negotiations with hotel sales representatives and other vendors, budget development and management, coordination, planning and supervision of meeting and conference logistical details, and on-site execution. You will act in an advisory role with our business partners, including senior-level executives, in interpreting guidelines, policies, and procedures related to the Annual Conference and Expo as well as other events.
AASHE'S Annual Conference is a multi-faceted event that brings together roughly 2,100 attendees to participate in pre and post conference workshops and extended learning opportunities plus two days of educational sessions with more than 600 presenters using multiple session formats, 100 exhibitors, and a dedicated volunteer pool.
- Lead the conference team, and direct all stages of meeting planning for the annual conferences, meetings and events to include initiating the creation and evaluation of timelines and milestones, conducting site visits, managing the registration process from build to onsite, negotiating hotel contracts and convention center contracts, and overseeing contracted vendors.
- In consultation with the Director, serve as project manager and lead all logistical aspects of the AASHE Conference.
- Coordinate convention center and hotel logistics to include; floor plan review, transportation needs and signage development and all necessary services including audio visual, internet, electric, sound, security, etc.
- In tandem with the Director of Marketing, Meetings, and Membership, negotiate contracts, evaluate options and serve as the point of contact with a variety of vendors for events and arrange for all related services with vendors, such as housing, registration and mobile app provider, decorator, audio visual company, transportation, entertainment, etc.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and commitment to AASHE's mission and values by incorporating sustainable, or "green",event practices into design and implementation.
- Support Programs Team as needed with the call for proposals (CFP) and abstract submission system and relevant communications with presenters (e.g., website build-out, evaluation/review process, and conference schedule).
- Understand sales goals and objectives, key marketing messages, and product focus, and bring these elements to life in an event environment.
- In collaboration with marketing team, develop marketing campaigns to promote conference and event presence, integrate thought leadership, etc
- Develop strategic invitation lists, branding, and promotional ideas in collaboration with marketing counterparts.
- Manage coordination of 50+ conference volunteers.
- Coordinate off-site conference programming with third party hosts/sponsors
- Work with Programs Team to determine conference schedule, ascertain the use of assigned space, determine meeting flow, and coordinate deadlines for presentation materials, session evaluations, signage, shipping procedures, and audio-visual.
- Manage menu and food & beverage coordination; negotiate food and beverage pricing, create BEO’s, and organize sustainability efforts around F&B.
- Work with Show Decorator to manage exhibit hall logistics to include floor plan development & approval, creation of service manuals, and overall setup.
- Using CVENT, build and manage the conference registration system, badge printing, and onsite registration processes and procedures.
- Develop and monitor budgets to ensure revenue and expenses are kept within established boundaries.
- Work with appropriate staff to evaluate all events, ensuring continual improvement, quality customer service, and positive financial results.
- Contribute significantly to the long-term strategic direction of the department.
- Support and lead, as necessary, conference and event committees (e.g. Host Committee, Student Summit, etc.)
- Oversee and respond to customer service calls and emails relating to events including registration, abstract submission, abstract review, or any other event issue.
- Perform other work as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum: BS/BA Degree
- At least five years of conference and event management experience.
- Experience managing meetings with 2,000 or more attendees.
- Prefer candidates with experience and an understanding of how to incorporate "greening" or sustainable measures in event planning.
- At least one year of experience working in a virtual environment
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Possess extensive understanding of the hospitality industry, how it operates, how it is organized and how to manage through the system efficiently and effectively.
- Collaborative team player with the ability to work independently with guidance as well as the ability to work with limited supervision. Must be comfortable with facilitating team meetings.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Evaluation and procurement of outside resources within budget and the ability to cultivate strong relationships with key business partners and vendors.
- Able to work strategically to negotiate and leverage spend.
- Excellent project management skills, along with the ability to multitask while consistently meeting daily, weekly, and monthly deadlines.
- Strong organization and time management skills; ability to remain flexible and prioritize effectively; capacity to manage multiple priorities, meeting deadlines, and respond to changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, efficiently, and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals in person, in writing, and primarily on the telephone.
- Must have the ability to problem solve effectively and independently with a positive approach to customer relations.
- Working knowledge of, and experience with CVENT software for registration and sourcing.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (or Apple or Google equivalents) computer applications and internet sharing and conference applications (Skype, WebEx, Google Drive, etc)
- Understanding, or desire to learn, how to incorporate 'greening' or sustainable measures into event planning.
- Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, websites and the ability to rapidly learn and use new software.
- Strong internet research skills.
- Ability to manage and maintain a fully functioning professional home office.
Occasional travel is required for this job, including conference site visits and planning meetings, and the annual conference for up to 7 days at a time. Travel expenses are paid for or reimbursed by AASHE.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required. May be asked to perform other duties as required.