The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity and grit. Winner of eight Pulitzer Prizes, the Sun-Times features hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews and cultural commentary, both in print and online.
The Chicago Sun-Times is seeking an audience engagement specialist who can help us continue to grow our number of digital subscribers and make sure our news organization’s award-winning content gets viewed by as many people as possible online. This is a multifaceted position in which the ideal candidate will have sound writing, editing and video editing skills, as well as knowledge of social-media planning and newsletter strategy.
This position reports to the Director of Audience Engagement & Special Projects.
• Curate home and section pages of the Sun-Times website to showcase the most relevant, timely and popular content
• Edit and publish stories following the best practices of SEO, storytelling and audience engagement
• Identify trending and breaking news — and write or aggregate stories that build audience based on those trends
• Recognize distinct news audiences and optimize content across multiple platforms
• Manage Sun-Times social media, optimizing for sharing and engagement
• Create multimedia content to enhance daily news coverage (i.e. video, graphics, text images, live streams, slideshows, social media embeds)
• Send breaking news alerts
• 2+ years of experience in digital news
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
• Solid editorial judgment and ethics
• Strong writing skills
• Ability to tell stories in multimedia formats
• Working knowledge of social media platforms, and best practices
• Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; familiarity with Chartbeat, CrowdTangle and Buffer a plus.
• Experience creating and sending newsletters
• Capacity to keep cool under deadline pressure
• Ability to learn quickly and collaborate in a fast-paced environment
What We offer:
A competitive starting base salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) and paid time off.
In addition to resume and cover letter, candidates are encouraged to submit samples of work to show evidence of the ability to excel in this position.
Sun-Times Media Productions LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.