Division/Department: Mechanical / Roundhouse
Job Title: Assistant CMO/Mechanical Foreman of Motive Power
Reports To: Chief Mechanical Officer
Type of position: Exempt
Employee Classification: Full Time/Regular Classification
Location: Durango, CO
Pay: 65,000 - 75,000/yr.
Job Summary: The Assistant CMO/Mechanical Foreman’s primary purpose is to lead all personnel and work directed towards the year-round operations, maintenance, and repair the DSNGRR fleet of 8 steam and 10 diesel locomotives. This position will work closely with the Chief Mechanical Officer to manage everything from long term locomotive rebuilds to day-to-day upkeep and servicing; all in compliance with applicable federal regulations. The Assistant CMO/Mechanical Foreman will also be responsible for the direct supervising, scheduling, and staffing of the locomotive maintenance team. Preference will be given to candidates possessing an advanced knowledge of steam and diesel locomotive design, construction and repair, as well as a functional understanding of machining, welding, general mechanic, and electrical practices. Additionally, the Asst. CMO/Mechanical Foreman will serve as assistant Chief Mechanical Officer and may be required to perform some of his duties, as needed.
The ideal candidate will be able to provide leadership, supervision, support, and knowledge to a well-established team of up to 25 employees while simultaneously working to grow both the DSNGRR steam, and diesel programs in a safe and productive work environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with CMO to create and implement a steam and diesel locomotive fleet maintenance schedule which adequately accommodates a year-round operating schedule.
- Assess and determine individual locomotive needs and budget adequate personnel and resources to carry out the required work.
- Ensure that all locomotives remain in compliance with federal regulations.
- Provide daily staff supervision, support, and leadership.
- Create and maintain a safe work environment that adheres to all regulations and company policies.
- Work alongside staff in a hands-on role towards the completion of scheduled work.
- Coordinate and direct multi-month projects ensuring timely completions.
- Schedule all locomotive maintenance staffing.
- Manage repairs and general upkeep of shop facilities.
- Manage department payroll and staffing hours.
- Select and hire staff with assistance of CMO.
- Perform disciplinary actions, performance reviews, and terminations with assistance of CMO.
- Work with CMO to establish annual shop budgets.
- Work with Purchasing Department on pricing of parts and supplies and maintaining inventory.
- Ability to perform some of CMO’s responsibilities, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by CMO, GM, AHR Senior Management or Ownership.
Education, Skill and Work Experience Requirements:
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal English.
- Possess strong leadership and project management skills.
- Ability to simultaneously manage a variety of projects under budgetary and time constraints.
- Must interact effectively with co-workers, vendors and sub-contractors.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing a workforce in an industrial setting.
- Understanding of applicable FRA and OSHA regulations.
- Must have a working knowledge of steam locomotive repair, and maintenance practices.
- Must have a working knowledge of diesel electric locomotive repair and maintenance practices, preferably Alco locomotives.
- Ability to troubleshoot, multi-task and think-on-your-feet.
- Must have familiarity with railroad operations and practices.
- Ability to effectively understand and direct work in various trades including welding and machining.
- Must be able to pass DSNGRR pre-employment and ongoing physical capabilities exams.
- Must be able to pass DSNGRR operating rules test and qualify for engine service.
- Must have ability to operate heavy equipment such as loader, forklift, and tractor.
- Must have computer skills to maintain digital records and produce documents and communications in Word and Excel at a minimum.
- Work primarily in a railroad shop environment with periods of outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Full-time, minimum 40 hours per week schedule
- Extended periods of time walking or standing.
- Frequent work in confined spaces.
- Regular lifting in excess of 50 pounds.