Location: Virtual (or office-based in Reston, VA or Cambridge, MA)
Posting Date: March 17, 2017
Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) seeks to transform the health sector worldwide, without compromising patient safety or care, so that it becomes ecologically sustainable and a leading advocate for environmental health and justice. With offices on four continents and partners around the world, Health Care Without Harm is leveraging the health sector’s expertise, purchasing power, political clout, workforce development, and moral authority to create the conditions for healthy people, communities, and the environment.
Working closely with Health Care Without Harm, Practice Greenhealth, is the leading nonprofit membership and network organization for sustainable health care, delivering environmental solutions to more than 1,300 members throughout the United States.
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth is searching for an experienced program leader and strategizer fill the newly created US Climate Program Director for HCWH and Practice Greenhealth. In this role, you will lead, strategize, coordinate and expand HCWH’s US Climate Program as well as collaborate with global and regional leaders to integrate HCWH’s global climate work across all HCWH entities and partners. This is your opportunity to take a small program and expand it within a relatively large network to help cultivate and advance our important climate work.
- Holds primary responsibility for the strategic development, day to day management and administrative oversight of the climate program in harmony with the mission of HCWH and Practice Greenhealth.
- Work with the development team to secure program funding.
- Develop strategic approaches to climate change to engage hospital members.
- Translate the climate program strategy into actions to be pursued by staff and partners.
- Identify, compile, and lead the creation of new tools to help move our climate work forward.
- Track public policy developments and interpret them for our staff and our work to inform the strategy of the program.
- Develop and manage the climate program budget.
- Develop relationships with key hospitals and partners.
- Shape our internal positions and recommendations for action.
- Identify how hospitals, governments and societal actions might evolve over the longer-term to address the challenge of climate change.
- Participate in public outreach of the research, including presentations at conferences, interviews with media, press releases and other external communication in collaboration with the Communications Director.
- Manage, motivate, and mentor the climate program team.
- Develop annual goals, plans and targets for the climate program team.
- Proven track record of at least 5 years’ program development and leadership experience. Preferably 5 years of experience working on climate issues - public health climate work preferred.
- Familiarity with hospitals and health systems, public health, healthcare and/or environment issues preferred.
- Demonstrable understanding of and commitment to addressing the social and environmental dilemmas resulting from climate change.
- An understanding of the energy sector and the challenges it faces.
- Knowledge of the critical policy issues and options to address climate change.
- Experience working on the development and implementation of a program strategy, preferably around climate change.
- Proven self-starter, who can lead and deliver projects at high level.
- Experience supervising or managing people or teams.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively while organizing time efficiently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully within a team including members and partners as well as the ability to work independently.
- Experience working in a virtual organization preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically.
- Bachelor’s degree or combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education, master’s preferred.
What’s In It For You?
- Work for an organization where the mission is inspiring and your colleagues are passionate and motivated.
- Work with staff that care deeply for the mission and the network of people carrying out that mission.
- Be part of an inspirational eclectic network.
- Fantastic benefits!
To Apply Or Inquire
Upload a cover letter and resume to Veronique Nagle, HR Director. Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only competitive candidates will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process. Position open until filled. Interviewing on a rolling basis.
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth are committed to seeking and sustaining culturally and ethnically diverse organizations, and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving the mission of the organizations in respectful ways. HCWH is an Equal Opportunity Employer.