The Pennsylvania Council of Trout Unlimited (PATU) is seeking a full-time Communications and Outreach Coordinator to recruit, retain, and reactivate volunteers across Pennsylvania. This person will provide outreach to PATU’s 49 chapters, current and potential partners, and the public, acting as a liaison to the board of directors. The Coordinator will work with PATU’s board, committees, chapters, and Program Director to plan and promote Trout Unlimited programs, projects, and events statewide. They will assist volunteers with finding the resources, funding, and partners needed to implement watershed stewardship and angling programs such as Trout in the Classroom, STREAM Girls, family fishing programs, and Women, Diversity, and Inclusion initiatives. They will develop weekly content for the PATU website and social media accounts and quarterly content for the PA Trout newsletter. They will also be expected to help maintain regular email communications between the PATU board and chapter members. They will report to the Program Director. Their office will be in State College or DuBois, Pennsylvania, but reimbursable travel across the state may be occasionally required. Hours will be Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm with occasional evenings and weekends. This position is being offered for a one-year term with the possibility of extension to a second term. Must be a United States citizen age 17 or older to apply.
This position is being offered through a partnership with the Pennsylvania Mountain Service Corps (www.pmsc.org). Candidates should visit the PMSC website for additional details, but compensation and benefits are generally as follows:
• Living stipend ($704 bi-weekly)
• Healthcare benefits
• Income-based childcare benefits
• Education award of $6,345 upon completion of 1700-hour term
• Qualified student loan forbearance
Submit your application with resume and cover letter no later than Wednesday, July 21, 2021 by 4:00 pm. No phone calls please.
Undergraduate degree in marketing and communications or related field; or two or more years of work experience in marketing, communications, or a related field OR Environmental or conservation-related undergraduate degree with related work experience in marketing, communications, or a related field
The ideal candidate will:
• Have experience creating content for and managing social media accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube;
• Be proficient at using Microsoft 365 applications, WordPress, Zoom, and Constant Contact;
• Have strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Be comfortable providing in-person and virtual programs and presentations;
• Be able to work independently and be task-oriented;
• Be able to develop a communications plan to help meet strategic plan goals;
• Be familiar with diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) practices and principles.
Experience in any of the following is a plus:
• Working with nonprofits and/or environmental organizations;
• Working with and managing volunteers;
• Knowledge of watershed conservation, fisheries management, and recreational fishing;
• Grant writing/management
The AmeriCorps candidate:
• Should be able to work in an office setting for eight hours a day with occasional outdoor programs and events;
• Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license, and be willing to perform occasional travel statewide;
• Should be willing to become a PA Fish and Boat Commission-certified Fishing Skills Instructor (no cost).